How old to be able to sex Ameraucana

OwensChickens

Chirping
6 Years
May 31, 2013
We are picking up some Ameraucana chicks next weekend, both bantam and large fowl. They will be between 1 day and 1 week old. We want mostly pullets, but will be keeping a cockerel or two.

We are wondering if there is any clues or tips to sex chicks at this age?

At 1 day-1 week old, you will probably not be able to sex the Ameraucanas. Obvious rooster traits, like thick legs, slow feathering, and larger combs/wattles don't usually develop until at least week 4-5.

Good luck with the chicks!

I hatched three blues and 5 blacks. I'm noticing as babies their colors vary but as adults they should be uniform. Any thoughts on coloration differences between males and females? I'm seeing some with bigger beards than others, some with more cream than others. They are 1 week old. I'm going to try to keep them all so I can pick hopeful breeders for my future seasons, but I won't see what's desirable and what isn't until they are older right?

We picked up 15 chicks on Easter Sunday:

6 bantams: a pair of 4 week old wheatens (1 pullet and 1 cockerel) and 1 4 week old black. Plus 3 1 day old wheatens.

9 large fowl: 3 blue about 10 days old. 3 1 day old blues and 3 1 day old wheatens.

I will try to get some pictures.

We picked up 15 chicks on Easter Sunday:

6 bantams: a pair of 4 week old wheatens (1 pullet and 1 cockerel) and 1 4 week old black. Plus 3 1 day old wheatens.

9 large fowl: 3 blue about 10 days old. 3 1 day old blues and 3 1 day old wheatens.

I will try to get some pictures.
I only know about the wheatens. Once they're a few weeks old, (maybe 3-4 weeks), the boys will be much darker than the girls. You can probably tell that right now with your 4 week old bantam pair. Being wheaten not blue wheaten, just look for the mainly dark feathers instead of just smaller dark spots. Sorry I can't help with the other colors.

I only know about the wheatens. Once they're a few weeks old, (maybe 3-4 weeks), the boys will be much darker than the girls. You can probably tell that right now with your 4 week old bantam pair. Being wheaten not blue wheaten, just look for the mainly dark feathers instead of just smaller dark spots. Sorry I can't help with the other colors.
No problem. The young lady (4Her) that we got the bantams from was pretty sure of the sex of the 2 wheaten 4 week old birds. Do you agree?

Here is the cockerel (4 weeks):

Same bird at 5 weeks (bad picture)

Pullet at 5 weeks:

Here is the other older bantam. It is around 5 weeks. Owen guesses a cockerel due to larger comb:

Here is a 2 week old (might be 3) LF Ameraucana blue. We think he is a male due to large comb:

Female blue about the same age. Her comb is much less notable:

Back
Top Bottom