How old to let female ducklings range with drake?

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I have 3 ducklings, one male and two females that are 11 weeks old. They are almost as large as the adults and are ranging with the hens. At what age can I let them be with my 1 year old drake without them being injured by mating if he tries? Poor boy has to be locked up for now.

You want them at egg laying age which is 4 months or so. So, you have a while. My drake is also locked up at the moment. I try to remember that it is his fault for acting as he does.
Okay thank you! That isn't too far away, though I may wait even a couple more weeks to be safe. My drake is a sweet guy and does a good job defending the ladies without bullying them, so I feel bad for him. But I'll give him a few of the hens for company until he's free.

My drake is a gentleman even in spring -- with his girls. I added 2 girls last year and he'll charge over, abandoning his girls, chase, catch, force mate. Over and over and over. Right now they are sitting on eggs and he'll try to run into the coop and drag them out of the covered nestbox to breed.

Polite to your girls doesn't guarantee polite to all :(.

My drake is a gentleman even in spring -- with his girls. I added 2 girls last year and he'll charge over, abandoning his girls, chase, catch, force mate. Over and over and over. Right now they are sitting on eggs and he'll try to run into the coop and drag them out of the covered nestbox to breed.

Polite to your girls doesn't guarantee polite to all :(.
Oh boy, hopefully he'll settle down soon. So far it hasn't taken mine long to accept new females, but he isn't polite to my Ancona drake when they are together, he chases him all around the yard. So I'm also going to wait to put him with the male duckling.

Back
Top Bottom