How old were you when....

Quote:
Awww...he's so pretty
smile.png

I was 5 (48 now) when we got a bantam hen and a rooster. She went broody right after we got her and she hatched about 7 chicks. A couple of years later we moved to a new farm that came with about a dozen barred rocks and I've been raising them ever since.

i was 14 when i got my first 4 ducks. they were all pekins we got from Horses and Hounds. Their names were Slushie, Chubby, Lucy and Toby. Slushie was the only girl, Lucy was gender confused but his full name was Lucy Goosey. We still have Toby and now he has a friend Pepper!

I love barred rocks! My dad got chicks when he was about 14 and he ended up giving them to a friend of his parents who lived on a farm. He said he visited them every day though.

I got mine for my 41st birthday! Still have them too.... a SLW roo, Lacey; a Black Australorp, Betty; two Millie Fleur d'Uccles, Milly and Daisy.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
18, got them the other summer. 3 from MyPetChicken and they don't have names. We just call them by the breed they are.

I was 8 years old when I got my first ducks. A friend of the family offered my dad three Pekin ducks and he took them home and put them in the barn. Then, he told me to go out there because there was a present for me! I was so happy! I named them Huey, Duey, and Louie.

My first chicken, a year later, was a "stray." Someone must have dropped him off in our yard and he found his way to the barn. I named him Rockadoodle.
big_smile.png

And then over the years I got more, and more, and more....
celebrate.gif

I was 7 (1977) when I got colored chicks and ducklings for Easter. Unfortunately our German Shepherd mix broke into the coop and got them before I could name them!

I didn't get any more chickens til I was 14 (1984). A friend of mine gave me two chicks...a yellow one and a black one. Not sure what the yellow one turned out to be, maybe a white leghorn (but sadly it went on the road and got hit by a car). The black one was probably a black jap or black OEGB and would fly up to our deck if one of us stood out there yelling Cookieeeesss. Not sure whatever happened to her.

Back
Top Bottom