How old were you when....

I was 4. Our nursery school class had a incubated set of eggs and every child was given a single chick. (Ok, now I know how horrible that is). It's name was chicky- never got old enough to know it's sex. It caught an impressively large worm- then choked to death on it. Too big to handle on its own.
hit.gif

The only chicks to last more than a couple of months were a pair owned by twins. I think having another chick to be with can really make a difference. I don't know the breed, but they were yellow fluff followed by white adult feathers.

ETA Then I chose to have chickens for the first time when I was in my late 30's. We're just not home enough to have a cat or a dog. The chickens are happy to keep themselves company. I learned a LOT here before I made the commitment of getting them.

Last edited:
31!
th.gif
. It was last December. Buff ORP's. My first chicken named Beautiful . (shes my avatar pic). She is the only survivor from her 3 other siblings - when loose dogs got into my yard
hit.gif
. But it wasnt long before the chicken bug bit me hard and I got lots of other friends for her!!!!

Last edited:
Fifth grade...so, um, 10?

I got a big Leghorn x Barred Rock rooster that I named King Comb.
love.gif
He was fluffy, white, enormous, and friendly. I had him until my second year of college, when he got sick and passed away.

I believe I was 7 or 8. We got a pair of ducks first, then added 6 more each year, then flocks of geese, then 100 broilers at a time each fall.

31 years ago. Sassy ms Sally. Then again that's what all of their names were. All the roosters were named Stew
smile.png

I got my first chicken June 6th 2004
I was like 17 years old
A standard silver laced hen from Mcmurry. I named her Gabby. I fell so in love with the breed a year later I got a bantam white named Sugar I got 1 month shy of Gabbys first birthday. Sugar I got May 3rd 2005
2 years later I bought 2 frizzles from a breeder. And I hatched them myself. I got them Feb 14th 2007

Sadly I just lost Sugar Sunday and I am quite upset and depressed about it. I love her so much.

My dad was in the AF and at the time, we were stationed in Germany. A family he worked with got their kids a chick for Easter (I think it was dyed - horrible!!! I know!) This was back in the late 70's. I was between 7 and 9. They'd asked my dad if we could take the chick after Easter as we lived off base in an old farm house. So we wound up with this cute little chick who wound up being a Rhode Island Red. We named her "Chick" aptly and just loved her.

Chick was more like a dog than a chicken and would follow me all over the place doing that neat little "jog" that hens do - head/neck stretched way out kinda low to the ground trotting behind me. In warmer weather, she'd pant a little trying to keep up. I can only imagine what the German folks thought seeing an American girl wandering around town with a chicken trotting along beside/behind her.

My brother taught her to ride on the handlebars of his BMX and would ride her up the road to the cemetery which was about a mile away from us and would race back with her hunkered down. My folks have a picture of her riding with him at their home.

We acquired a few more hens in addition to Chick and they had a blast scratching up our garden and flopping over in the dust in the warm summers for a nap. I caught my first eggs from those birds and thought that was the coolest thing.

Unfortunately, one night while we were out eating, some dogs broke into the hen yard and scared some of them out of their coop and killed them. Chick was one of them
sad.png

We got more chickens after moving back to the states two of them a bantam pair who were just as cute as could be. This past spring, hubby decided it was time for us to have chickens too
smile.png
YAY!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom