How on Earth?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JackieK318, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I went downstairs to iron this morning and checked in on the 5 day old chicks. Between last night and this morning, they knocked over the 1 gallon waterer. It was full. Three chicks drowned. Two were just damp and one was barely alive, but is now just fine. I want to know how in the heck they knocked it over! Nothing could have bumped their brooder. I'm so sick about it! [​IMG]

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am so sorry, there is no way we can anticipate everything that can go wrong. Don't be too hard on yourself. :aww

3. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I am so sorry. I can't imagine how they could do that. Are there a lot of them?

4. mradam

mradam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Eastern Missouri
    So sorry to hear that. Those little fellas are pretty forceful when they get going I guess! I hope your other ones keep doing good. Best of luck!

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Was the waterer balancing on something or just sitting flat on the floor of the brooder? I am asking this because my feeder is balanced on a block of wood and sometimes it get knocked over.

Sorry you had to go through it anyway. :aww

6. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Sorry about your chicks ,

I did notice mine dig under the water dish , I would imagine if they did and it was hit on the other side it might knock it over . I will have to get an eye on mine .

again sorry about your chicks

Regards
    The Newbie

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I am so sorry for your loss. I have babies that just turned 6 days old today and i love them so much i can't imagine the shock. Hope your other little ones continue to do good.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    I'm so sorry for your loss :aww

My chicks kept knocking over the water container too, so I bought a few paving squares from Home Depot to put the water and food on.. it's more stable than a 2x4, which is what I had them sitting on before.

9. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Oh Jackie, I'm soooo sorry! [​IMG] Were these the ones you hatched from Kelly?

10. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    No, they were 6 that I just grabbed from Buchheit - impulse buy - the cuteness factor was just too great. Four black stars and 2 EEs. The EEs and 1 black star survived. I blew her dry this morning before work and my hubby said she perked up really well later in the morning.

The water jug was on a bowl, but it was flat, but I guess when they get going, the chicks can get wild. I about vomited this morning when I walked into the garage to this horror. I'm still sick over it.

The poor babies are having a rough day - the heat lamp broke on them as well. Hubby thought it was just a bulb, so he replaced it, but the lamp apparently shorted out. He stole a lamp off the other chicks temporarily. Luckily Wal-Mart carries the lights now so I can grab a new one after my evening class.

The 10 that hatched from Kelly are doing great. I'm getting some more next week to hatch. By the time they hatch, the current chicks will be free ranging and in the coop with the big girls.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by