How picky are you with your eggs?

I never throw out dirty or poopy eggs. I may not wash them the day they are collected, but they do get cleaned. My way of thinking is this. Those girls work real hard everyday to give me those eggs and it would be just a waste to not use them.

I guess I'm lucky ... I've never had a dirty egg! Even though the chicken pen was like a bog for a month over Christmas, the mud doesn't seem to make it as far as the nestbox.

Quote:
x2!! Though luckily, not the 100 inches of rain part.
tongue.png
Nothing gets wasted over here, extremely dirty eggs, cracked eggs, suspicious eggs either are fed to the dog or back to the chickens.

I rarely wash eggs. I usually put them either in cartons, if they are clean, or a wire basket if they are dirty. They all go on the counter or bakers rack. I dont refrigerate my eggs. If Im gonna give them to people, I try to give them unwashed, clean eggs. Sometime though I will wash some dirty ones to make up a dozen.

Mine only have a little spot or two of dirt on them once in a while and I just spot clean it so the natural bloom stays on it until I use it.

I rinse em off in hot water and keep them just like all my other eggs. If I find one that's exceptionally dirty so that it really grosses me out or makes me question how old it is, I scramble it up and feed it back to the chickens.

hehe I can't help but chuckle at the thought of throwing away something that comes out a chicken's butt cause it has poo on it.

Back
Top Bottom