How QUICKLY do chicks get their feathers?

blueheaven

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Central Indiana
i have tried to search the byc site and see about feathering, but have not found much.
i have week old pullets and they all are feathering soooo quickly. they are even getting their tail feathers.
my campines are the only ones who are not feathering as quickly but are getting some.
they keep pecking at their own wings underneath. not sure if it is from all the food that the others 'spill' on them or what they are picking at.

i cannot believe how quickly they have grown. they have doubled in size...i bet!

Isn't it amazing how quickly they feather?
big_smile.png
I'll go to town for groceries and come back and they all have tail feathers!

It also depends on the breed, too. I have a frizzle that is soooo slooow to feather in, his other hatch mates are completley feathered out but the poor frizzled dude is no where near it. I still have a 250w heat lamp out for him at night
sad.png
(which the others take advantage of also
roll.png
). I also have another mystery chick that is being incredibly slow to feather out, she's nearly 2 weeks old and only has these teeny little wing tips
sad.png

I have several different breeds between the ages of 4 and 5 weeks. At this point they all almost have a complete covering of feathers, especially my 5 week olds (the 4 week olds still have some fuzz on their heads). It's easy to believe that by approx. 7-8 weeks of age they will be fully feathered. It does go by so fast!

Most of mine have tons of feathers - just some fuzz on their heads and necks.

They are 5 weeks old now.

One of them has no feathers. She has down or bald spots still.

Any ideas???

mine are two weeks old and they only place they dont have feathers is on the top of their head! i took them off the heat lamp at 1 week old because they were too hot

It's amazing how quickly they grow. Before long you'll have eggs. I had a couple of birds start laying at 17 weeks. Most started laying between 20 to 24 weeks.

mine are two weeks old and they only place they dont have feathers is on the top of their head! i took them off the heat lamp at 1 week old because they were too hot
My chicks are a little less then a week and I know everyone said keep them at 90-95 degrees but mine run away from the heat if it is over 85. And huddle only if it is below 70.... Strange. But my question did your start to pluck at them selfs and scratch a little more then normal when the big feathers were coming in?

Back
Top Bottom