How quickly do you go through oyster shell?

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
I have a Golden Comet that's been laying for about a month. She eats quite a bit of oyster shell... like a ½ cup every 1-2 weeks. I mostly feed starter/grower and all-flock, with about 10% layer feed mixed in. Her egg shells are solid, to the point where it can be hard to crack the egg!

Is this normal? Is it typical of commercial layers? Is it because she's not exclusively on layer feed? I know chickens are generally intuitive, but I love her and want to make sure she's not going to overdo it.

Thanks for your help. Photo to show off our her new carton stamp 🥰

IMG_5750.jpeg

Mine go through oyster shell fairly quickly when laying and some of them lay quite hard shells. Different hens will eat different amounts. What size bits are your shell? They need to be big enough to break down over time in digestive system. If it’s too small and dusty they may need to eat more to get the right amount. Excessive calcium will result in deposits on the shell.

I give it to them about every other day - about 3 days a week. I give about 2 handle fulls. So I go threw about a bag a month.
I try feeding them other calcium rich things - like I grind up there egg shells and mix it with there chicken feed - because it is like sand looking.
By the way I grind them using a coffee bean grinder.

Mine go through oyster shell fairly quickly when laying and some of them lay quite hard shells. Different hens will eat different amounts. What size bits are your shell? They need to be big enough to break down over time in digestive system. If it’s too small and dusty they may need to eat more to get the right amount. Excessive calcium will result in deposits on the shell.
I've been giving the Scratch & Peck brand (which is flaked), and have not seen any calcium deposits on the shells 👍

I did not know that about the sizing, but it makes total sense!

I grind up there egg shells and mix it with there chicken feed - because it is like sand looking.
You shouldn't mix any calcium supplement into their feed unless you're treating a specific bird, as it does not allow them to regulate their intake.

Also grinding down the eggshell makes it pass through the system faster, you're essentially working against yourself here. You want it to stay in the system longer when they need it, so they absorb more calcium from it.

Also grinding down the eggshell makes it pass through the system faster, you're essentially working against yourself here. You want it to stay in the system longer when they need it, so they absorb more calcium from it.

I boil egg shells and oyster shells (after eating the oysters) for ten minutes, then cook them in the oven on low heat for an hour or so. Then I use a mortar and pestle to crush them up to the right size — big enough to consume, but not so small it becomes a powder. And no sharp edges on the oyster shell.

Some birds seem to need or want more calcium. I let them decide.

Hard to say how much oyster shell I go through right now as I also add crushed eggshells to the dish, to extend it out, as it was getting a little tougher to source flaked oyster during Covid. Not an issue now but it still helps extend out how often I need to buy oyster shell. I guesstimate prior to Covid I was getting one 4 lb bag a year, for 7 birds.

I boil egg shells and oyster shells (after eating the oysters) for ten minutes, then cook them in the oven on low heat for an hour or so. Then I use a mortar and pestle to crush them up to the right size — big enough to consume, but not so small it becomes a powder. And no sharp edges on the oyster shell.
I don't process oyster but for eggshells I toss them in the oven when I'm preheating for dinner, and they get crunchy enough from that to easily crush by hand.

Back
Top Bottom