How quite is a "quiet" chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kira782, May 19, 2011.

1. kira782

kira782 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    I'm reading through the list of chicken breeds and noticed that some breeds are apparently quieter than others. I've never spent a lot of time around chickens so how quiet is a quiet chicken? Sorry, i know its a hard question to answer!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've had a half dozen breeds and I cannot honestly say that any of them are quiet, as in near silent. There are various noises. There just is. There is the loud, "Something is scaring me" which is similar to "Holy Cow, I just laid a double yolker" to just general complaining and begging to quieter purring, etc.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Fred's Hens :

I've had a half dozen breeds and I cannot honestly say that any of them are quiet, as in near silent. There are various noises. There just is. There is the loud, "Something is scaring me" which is similar to "Holy Cow, I just laid a double yolker" to just general complaining and begging to quieter purring, etc.

X2 it's only rarely that I don't hear mine!!​

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    if you're looking for quiet chickens look at the bantam breeds I have 4 different breeds and the only quiet hen I have is a bantam campine, I have a bantam brahma but she is loud after she lays her egg, only problem with the bantams is the eggs are tiny.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I think it all depends on the individual, and where they are in the pecking order. I've had different breeds and some were loud bocking and growling at everything while others never made a sound. I've also noticed that the top bird in the flock seems to be the most vocal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by