How quite is a "quiet" chicken?

kira782

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Littleton, Colorado
I'm reading through the list of chicken breeds and noticed that some breeds are apparently quieter than others. I've never spent a lot of time around chickens so how quiet is a quiet chicken? Sorry, i know its a hard question to answer!

I've had a half dozen breeds and I cannot honestly say that any of them are quiet, as in near silent. There are various noises. There just is. There is the loud, "Something is scaring me" which is similar to "Holy Cow, I just laid a double yolker" to just general complaining and begging to quieter purring, etc.

Fred's Hens :

I've had a half dozen breeds and I cannot honestly say that any of them are quiet, as in near silent. There are various noises. There just is. There is the loud, "Something is scaring me" which is similar to "Holy Cow, I just laid a double yolker" to just general complaining and begging to quieter purring, etc.

X2 it's only rarely that I don't hear mine!!​

if you're looking for quiet chickens look at the bantam breeds I have 4 different breeds and the only quiet hen I have is a bantam campine, I have a bantam brahma but she is loud after she lays her egg, only problem with the bantams is the eggs are tiny.

I think it all depends on the individual, and where they are in the pecking order. I've had different breeds and some were loud bocking and growling at everything while others never made a sound. I've also noticed that the top bird in the flock seems to be the most vocal.

Back
Top Bottom