How Rare are Double Yolks?

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I have read that many of our members here have had the hens they raise lay large eggs that have 2 (and sometimes 3) eggs in them. I have read that these are fairly rare in occurrence, hence the hullabalu about them. It does seem as though many people at sometime in their chicken raising experience do get this blessing, but I have had layers (12) since late 9/10 and haven't had one yet.
barnie.gif

How rare is this type of egg, statistically? Of the members that have had one or more, how often did this occur? I am hoping for a DOUBLE but have not yet hit the egg jackpot in this manner. What are my odds? Any mathematicians in the house?
caf.gif

rant.gif

It's not so much math with a few chickens, it's whether you have a chicken who does this; it seems to be an individual trait. I haven't seen one in this flock, which I've had about 3 years, and I never saw one from my last flock, who I had for 2 or 3 years. Don't hold your breath.

It often depends on how your hens have been bred. In most cases, production laying pullets will lay double yolkers more often than, say, Oriental Gamefowl.

In most cases, female will only lay double yolkers when she's a pullet, and will lay anywhere from 1-5 double yolkers in her pullet age. (less than one year) After a year old, hens should not normally lay double yolked eggs.

I was wondering about this too, I had one that did it a while back but that was about 8 years ago. Well, guess it's a good thing since my cholesterol is high anyways.

I was wondering if there is any kind of poultry that consistently lays double yolkers? There is a diner near Chicago and all their eggs are double yolkers. Someone told me they were turkey eggs. I know nothing about turkeys (except I want to know more so I can get one someday....).

I have had 30+ chickens so far and never seen an egg with more than one yolk.

Since none of my hens came from a hatchery does that mean I'll never see a double yolker?

Quote:
No. I've gotten one double yolker from my Shamo, quite a few from my Araucanas, and a couple from my French Marans. . . It happens. I've yet to get any from my Ameraucanas or Jersey Giants though. It's just a glitch that sometimes happens, and sometimes just doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom