How "RARE" Are Muscovys?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I was searching the internet when I came upon a hatchery that was selling "RARE" muscovy ducklings for $24.99 !!!!!!!! :eek: The pic of the white muscovy that was posted looks just like 10 drakes. The hen looks like my 25 hens and the ducklings look just like the 100 that I have hatched this year. So what does "RARE" muscovy mean? I'm confused. I didn't realize hatcheries sell them so high. I better look at increasing my prices. :idunno

How much do you all sell your muscovy ducklings for?

Last edited:
French whites? either way a little crazy BUT what age are they? What do i charge? 15$ for a coloured drake, i don't sell them as ducklings in the sense of under 4wks or something, mine are usually 3mths or older and are BIG boys, . I don't sell my females, i don't get enough of those, i paid 25$ for a solid black duck this month out of show lines, however lol.

Last edited:
I think the REAL french whites are harder to come by and more "rare". These are kind of like jumbos of the breed. They grow a little faster and drakes are a but larger. Is that what they were selling?
Other than that, muscovy ducks are in no way rare. In fact, they are wild and considered a "pest" in some states!

I do know that solid colored as well as some patterns (barred and ripple are the two I can immediately think of) are hard to find and could probably be considered rare. But the few hatcheries I've seen selling them get $6-10 each for them.

If you sell muscovy ducks and ducklings, adjust your price to what the area/demand calls for. Here in Maine, quite a few people have them this time of the year. So on Craigslist they range from $2 per duckling up to $10. And adults range from $8 to $20 each.

Personally, I like to show mine and breed uncommon colors as I find they are more appealing and easier to sell at a higher price. I get $8-12 for my ducklings, $10-15 for juveniles, and $20-30 for adults

I do know that solid colored as well as some patterns (barred and ripple are the two I can immediately think of) are hard to find and could probably be considered rare. But the few hatcheries I've seen selling them get $6-10 each for them.

Interesting about the barred, I think barred are very pretty, but here they aren´t difficult to find. In fact, today I gave away two young barred males to my neighbours to become dinner, as it´s pretty much impossible to sell muscovies here as they´re so common, regardless of colour. Probably regardless of nationality, too (french),
tongue.png

Interesting about the barred, I think barred are very pretty, but here they aren´t difficult to find. In fact, today I gave away two young barred males to my neighbours to become dinner, as it´s pretty much impossible to sell muscovies here as they´re so common, regardless of colour. Probably regardless of nationality, too (french),
tongue.png

Yes, it must be like in FL. They are wild and very easy to find!

I know that where I live (New England) there are quite a few people with muscovies mainly as pets or for meat. But they are not wild or native here. Which makes them somewhat sought-after. But I can understand that in place like where you live and they are native and wild, it can be hard to give them away let alone sell them! But that's where supply and demand kick in. Other breeds that are not native to your area are probably harder to find (not necessarily rare) and are sold/bought for a higher price than the muscovy ducks.

Yes, it must be like in FL. They are wild and very easy to find!

I know that where I live (New England) there are quite a few people with muscovies mainly as pets or for meat. But they are not wild or native here. Which makes them somewhat sought-after. But I can understand that in place like where you live and they are native and wild, it can be hard to give them away let alone sell them! But that's where supply and demand kick in. Other breeds that are not native to your area are probably harder to find (not necessarily rare) and are sold/bought for a higher price than the muscovy ducks.

Here the muscovies are pets or meat, too. The wild, native muscovies are seen from time to time, but few people have them. Most folks prefer the domesticated ones, more interesting colours! And easier to handle. I think it´s just because they breed so easily year-round, and they´re tough, don´t get sick, that they don´t really have value. Adults can be bought for about $5, much cheaper than a chicken.
On the other hand, I also have common geese (male white, female grey), and people ask me if I´ll sell them. I have sold just a very few, and I could sell them many times over. It´s because many people have difficulty raising goslings (most goslings die, the geese are left to get on with it), so adults of this type are more in demand. I love my geese and it´s difficult to part with any of them!
I do like my muscovies, too, though. I have a number of black-and-white ones this time, they look like little penguins walking about!
Peacocks cost a packet. I did have some, but the neighbour complained about the noise, so i sold them on.

Back
Top Bottom