How rare is a 100% hatch rate?

yallapilko

Songster
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
I just hatched 15 eggs, 3 were not viable and 12 hatched. Making 100% hatch rate and 80% fertility. Is this usual or good? What's the norm? Previously I've had 75% and 60%. But this time was given some eggs. All chicks nice n healthy ....

I just hatched 15 eggs, 3 were not viable and 12 hatched. Making 100% hatch rate and 80% fertility. Is this usual or good? What's the norm? Previously I've had 75% and 60%. But this time was given some eggs. All chicks nice n healthy ....

I don't hatch quail, but I do hatch chickens. I rarely get a 100% hatch rate of fertile eggs (around 90% or so, usually). If you're getting a 100% hatch rate, you must be doing things right!

Thanks Wyandottes7. So far, the only thing different that I did was clean the incubator with apple cider vingegar, I usually use hatchery cleaner, but had run out! And also, I did manage to get the humidity up to 75 degrees , I can usually only get it to 70. But I put in some damp sponges. I think the eggs were of better quality. Someone gave me them! I now have 12 little beauties!

By my definition, that is not a 100% hatch rate. If I set 100 eggs, and after candling them at lockdown, I find 20 of them are infertile, from that point forward, it would be an 80% hatch rate. You are skewing your data to “better” your results.
Same as if you set 100 eggs, and at lockdown, you find 80 infertile eggs, and the remaining 20 hatched. Would you consider that a 100% hatch rate??? I wouldn’t.
James

Ok, then it's a 100 percent fertile hatch rate.
1f603.png
Words make all the difference.

James the Bald-I'm not trying to skew my data! I'm not that competitive! Fertitlity rate by definition is calculated (by author kate buchanan - and is the definition I am using, rather that your defnition is as follows
fertility definition
no. eggs set = a
no. infertile eggs = b
a-b = viable eggs = c
fertility % = c X 100 divided by a - which in my case is 80% as I stated.

Where as hatch % is calculated
no. viable eggs = c
no. eggs hatched = d
hatch % = d x 100 divided by c - which in my case is 100% as I stated.

But I'm interested in how unusual a 100% hatch rate on viable eggs is. That is the crux of my question.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom