How reliable a gender indicator is redness of peacomb in Easter Eggers?

UPDATE: Well, my Easter Egger chicks (sold as the mercurial 'Americaunas' <grin>) turned 10 weeks and 1 day old today. Norman is definitely a cockerel. With Sandy (thankfully a name that can go either gender) I am now more leaning toward the idea that she is a pullet (hopefully others agree with me). Her comb doesn't have the deep red and three rows that Norman (formerly 'Nancy' :) ) has. My two other white (mostly) chicks are most definitely pullets.

Sure would be great if it worked out that Sandy is a pullet - that would eventually give me three hens and a rooster (my second flock). BTW, my nearly 10 year old hens are still doing well (less the one I lost in November to a hawk attack :( ).

I'll attach some pics that I took today of Norman (definitely the cockerel) and Sandy who I'm on the fence but leaning a bit now more towards Sandy being a pullet.
Cockerels

Latest update: The cockerels are now exploring more of their open area and they seem to have taken the change in housing in-stride. Iniitially they were hesitant about heading out far from their new coop, so I tried a light sprinkling of chicken scratch as a path to more of the open area. They are now exploring more of their open area although not all of it yet. The pullets seem to be going on just fine as well.

I think things are progressing well - so far not much crowing, just an occasional attempt here and there. Of course they are just thirteen weeks old as of today, so I'm sure that's coming. Sure hoping that goes well (i.e., neighbors et al) when they do start crowing.

Most of the time they seem to pal around just fine, but now and then they seem to challenge one another with the hackle feathers up and a little hop. Having never had roosters, I assume that is just normal posturing (I've seen hens do it) to settle who's head rooster. I assume (???) and I'm asking the group here, that the latter behavior here and there is to be expected and that I will know if things are escalating to where I'd need to be seriously concerned?

So far, so good (I think...).......

Most of the time they seem to pal around just fine, but now and then they seem to challenge one another with the hackle feathers up and a little hop. Having never had roosters, I assume that is just normal posturing
Yep......could get worse, or not. :fl
I always suggest having separate areas for troulbesome birds ready, just in case.
...also a plan on how to get rid of them.

I agree, it's normal for cockerels and even pullets to spar and chest bump a bit. And most boys who are raised together outgrow it once they've established their pecking order. But there's always a chance you could have that one fella who doesn't get along with anybody ever.
It's a good idea to have a plan for separating more, just in case you ever need to.

Latest update: The cockerels are now exploring more of their open area and they seem to have taken the change in housing in-stride. Iniitially they were hesitant about heading out far from their new coop, so I tried a light sprinkling of chicken scratch as a path to more of the open area. They are now exploring more of their open area although not all of it yet. The pullets seem to be going on just fine as well.

I think things are progressing well - so far not much crowing, just an occasional attempt here and there. Of course they are just thirteen weeks old as of today, so I'm sure that's coming. Sure hoping that goes well (i.e., neighbors et al) when they do start crowing.

Most of the time they seem to pal around just fine, but now and then they seem to challenge one another with the hackle feathers up and a little hop. Having never had roosters, I assume that is just normal posturing (I've seen hens do it) to settle who's head rooster. I assume (???) and I'm asking the group here, that the latter behavior here and there is to be expected and that I will know if things are escalating to where I'd need to be seriously concerned?

hopefully the two cockerels grow up to be roosters who are always as chummy as bachelors
IMG_20200209_111029587.jpg

Took this about a day ago or so - Norman on the left (originally Nancy) and Sandy on the right (thankfully Sandy's name worked either way <g>) I'll add some pics of the pullets in a bit - they are also doing fine.

The cockerels are far more outgoing than the pullets - they were the first ones to start approaching me ... now the pullets are starting to do the same; I guess curiosity and the fact that I have been taking care of them without threat, helps too.

The chicks (cockerels and pullets) turned 14 weeks old just yesterday (Thursday). So far, so good. :)

My two remaining hens (if you recall a hawk killed one of the three last year), if all goes well will turn 10 years old in April. So far, they seem to continue being very healthy.

Mainly though I wanted to send y'all a pic of the cockerels. Sure hope it all works out with them (i.e. both continuing to get along with each other and that crowing is a reasonable minimum that won't upset the neighbors). I've never had roosters/cockerels and have really grown quite attached to them (as well as the pullets). The cockerels are characters. :)

Attachments

• NormanANDSandy.jpg
    NormanANDSandy.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 16
Took this about a day ago or so - Norman on the left (originally Nancy) and Sandy on the right (thankfully Sandy's name worked either way <g>) I'll add some pics of the pullets in a bit - they are also doing fine.

The cockerels are far more outgoing than the pullets - they were the first ones to start approaching me ... now the pullets are starting to do the same; I guess curiosity and the fact that I have been taking care of them without threat, helps too.

The chicks (cockerels and pullets) turned 14 weeks old just yesterday (Thursday). So far, so good. :)

My two remaining hens (if you recall a hawk killed one of the three last year), if all goes well will turn 10 years old in April. So far, they seem to continue being very healthy.

Mainly though I wanted to send y'all a pic of the cockerels. Sure hope it all works out with them (i.e. both continuing to get along with each other and that crowing is a reasonable minimum that won't upset the neighbors). I've never had roosters/cockerels and have really grown quite attached to them (as well as the pullets). The cockerels are characters. :)
Handsome boys! They'll probably go through a buttface hormonal stage in a couple months but they should outgrow it.

Back
Top Bottom