How reliable a gender indicator is redness of peacomb in Easter Eggers?

Pics

bayareapilot

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 8, 2010
San Francisco
I have four Easter eggers who turn 8 weeks old tomorrow. I was just wondering how accurate peacomb redness is in determining gender?

Two of my Easter eggers are basically kind of white and they have no pink/red coloration at all in their peacomb. I have another that is kind of black with some highlights and that one has some redness in their peacomb. The chick I'm wondering about has a redder peacomb than the black one. Kind of hard to describe the color of the chick I'm wondering about. It almost kind of looks like the coloration you would see with a hawk. In fact it looks kind of like a little hawk. It does seem more dominant than the others. But then again when I recall my nearly 10 year old hens when they were chicks I recall there was one that was dominant too and of course all three of those turned out to be female.

As I mentioned before I got the four Chicks as part of a sexed run. I know that's no guarantee although my other Easter egger hens were 100% pullet.

so I guess I'm back to my original question is does the level of redness of the pea comb positively indicate gender?

I have four Easter eggers who turn 8 weeks old tomorrow. I was just wondering how accurate peacomb redness is in determining gender?

Two of my Easter eggers are basically kind of white and they have no pink/red coloration at all in their peacomb. I have another that is kind of black with some highlights and that one has some redness in their peacomb. The chick I'm wondering about has a redder peacomb than the black one. Kind of hard to describe the color of the chick I'm wondering about. It almost kind of looks like the coloration you would see with a hawk. In fact it looks kind of like a little hawk. It does seem more dominant than the others. But then again when I recall my nearly 10 year old hens when they were chicks I recall there was one that was dominant too and of course all three of those turned out to be female.

As I mentioned before I got the four Chicks as part of a sexed run. I know that's no guarantee although my other Easter egger hens were 100% pullet.

so I guess I'm back to my original question is does the level of redness of the pea comb positively indicate gender?
If you get a roo I'll take it!

here he is full grown!
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom