1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How reliable is the egg float test?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amberskyfire, Jan 6, 2015.

1. amberskyfire

amberskyfire New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    Hawaii's Big Island
    I just crawled under my house and found a ton of chicken eggs my girls have been laying for goodness knows how long. I tried putting them in water and they all sank and lay flat on the bottom. Is the float test super reliable? I don't even know how long they have been laying under there. Maybe days, maybe weeks, maybe months! The have always liked to hang out under there and I've had them for a couple of years. I'm scared to crack any open.

2. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    If you're going to try to crack one open, I would suggest doing it outside somewhere you can just drop it and leave the egg if you need too.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If they all lay flat on the bottom, they should be safe to crack open. When eggs get old the white evaporates and the air cell enlarges, causing eggs to partially float. Of course once they get past that stage, they start decomposing and the egg fills with gasses. They float much better then. When an egg floats like that, you DON'T want to crack that one open.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, if the egg floats, be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by