How should/do I get my chickens to accept my baby chicks?

Chicken0Boy

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Upstate of South Carolina
I hope this is in the right section. Ok, so im am going to be getting 2 E.E. hens, 2 Maran hens, and 1 Maran rooster this spring. I am going to replace my old Cochin Rooster with the new Maran roo. Is this okay? Btw I will be getting the chicks from McMurray... how should I go about moving the chicks into my coop? The chickens living in the coop now are silkies and bantam cochins.

Thanks in advance!
smile.png

I go through a pretty lengthy integration process when introducing new birds.
I let them see each other, but not be able to get to each other for a good month before they are ever put together. When they are first put together, I watch very closely to make sure noone is getting picked on too bad(some fussing and fighting is unavoidable). Also, adding new birds at night after the established flock have gone to roost can help as well.
I never add new babies until they about 3 months old and use the same process as with adult birds.
Don't forget to quarantine any new adult birds for 30 days!
Good luck enlarging your flock.

Ok so how do I just let them see each other without them coming in contact? Also, how do I let them get 3 months old before I put them into the coop? Do they need like there own little coop? lol
lol.png

Going to lurk this thread because I have to integrate some new chicks into an established flock this summer too.
hide.gif
Just pretend I'm not here...

Quote:
I know this isn't possible for everyone, but it works like a charm for us-we have a chicken tractor inside our run. The birds can all see each other, but can't fight. I'm very fortunate that I have a HUGE run that can handle a chicken tractor.
I know it sounds very tedious(and it can be), but it's also necessary to avoid casualties.
There needs to be fencing/chicken wire between them during the integration process.
I know you don't want to hear this either, but you really need a quarantine area to keep started birds in for 30 days before they can even be within eyeline of your existing flock.
Sorry, wish there were an easier, effective way, but there it is.
smile.png

first you need to put the chicks in a brooder and raise them up to a good size so they can defend themselves. If you have a broody hen you can try slipping her the chicks at night she might decide to raise them and she will protect them. If you are gonna use a brooder to raise them to size then keep them in the small brooder untill they are fully feathered out 6 to 8 weeks usually. before you even think about integrating them to the flock.

to integrate them I put a huge dog crate inside or next to the pen so they can see and small eachother watch them for at least a few days. If there is no fighting I open the pen up inside the run/coop at night so the new birds can come out into the flock. I do it at night as the birds will accept them better int the morning if they are just kind of there lol.

You need a brooder box with a heat lamp. That first week, they need to be at about 99 degrees, then 5 degrees cooler each week after that as they grow feathers. You won't be able to add them to the coop until they're 8 weeks old at a minimum.

Then you need a wire cage, or something to put them in where the old birds can see them. Keep them in that, for 2-4 more weeks. Until they're bigger than the Bantams.

I have 9 week and 6 week old babies in the basement brooding right now. When we were outfitting the coop, I had a large wooden box. Flipped it on it's side, built the roosts above it. So, I have a big box to place a door on, for when I add the babies. They'll be safe, warm, and easily seen by the current adult birds. Separate waters and feeders until they actually get to live together.

I used a separate grow out pen for the young 'uns until they were as big as the older hens, then I carefuly integrated, watching for trouble. I made sure that there were two feeders to make it less likely that the younger birds could be kept away from food.

Back
Top Bottom