how should i build my chicken coop

The Duck Dad

Songster
Nov 7, 2020
Oconomowoc Wisconsin
So, I am gonna start raising chickens but how should I build my coop? Would 2 4x4 coops work for 8 chickens? should I put shelves with dividers on the walls of my coop?
I have never raised chickens before, but I have 1 hen wood duck, and yes she is the only one, but she thinks she is a human and is happy. I tried to give her company but she likes to be the only one:) so, if anyone has any ideas for a coop, let me know cuz that would be very helpful, thanks!!

For 8 chickens, you need around 40 feet of coop space, and around 80 feet of run space. I think it would be easier to make one coop instead of two, but if you want to separate them, go ahead. What do you mean by shelves with dividers? For nesting boxes? You can buy nesting boxes premade, or you can make your own. I'd recommend having at least 3 boxes for 8 birds, and having them be fully enclosed box shapes.

This is the link to the coops section that has coops.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

You might want to follow the link in my signature below for my ideas on how much room you need. It is not some magic number that applies to everyone on the planet whether they are in Miami Florida, Lima Peru, or the Orkneys. In Wisconsin I suggest more rather than less because of winter.

Back
Top Bottom