How should I do my breeding? Flocks, trios, pairs?

Zach, our breeding season is over so the temp fence panels are down and everyone is together again. It will be December before we put them back up. I will get some of the houses though and go over how we set them up this year. Next year will be an even bigger chore as we will have a large increase in Sebbie numbers.

We have 1 gander 3 geese for buff Dewlaps to grow out, they will have a dedicated space in the front of the property lined with oak trees and their own sunken pool.

Sebbies we have 9 adults and 20+ goslings from this year we are growing out to select new stock for next year.

Budget friendly Sebbie baracades can be a roll of 3' high garden fence from homedepot and some of the metal green fence posts. The half sized lattice panels (wood) are also not expensive and work for the Sebbies. We use both with good results. I have one set of lattice that is a permanent barrier, will get some photos of it to share.

Never use chicken wire, it rusts quickly, is pointless as a fence since it bends and sags easily. They can learn to walk it down, or push under it.

Luckily you have all summer to save and buy a little at a time to make their breeding set ups.

Last edited:
Zach, our breeding season is over so the temp fence panels are down and everyone is together again. It will be December before we put them back up. I will get some of the houses though and go over how we set them up this year. Next year will be an even bigger chore as we will have a large increase in Sebbie numbers.
We have 1 gander 3 geese for buff Dewlaps to grow out, they will have a dedicated space in the front of the property lined with oak trees and their own sunken pool.
Sebbies we have 9 adults and 20+ goslings from this year we are growing out to select new stock for next year.
Budget friendly Sebbie baracades can be a roll of 3' high garden fence from homedepot and some of the metal green fence posts. The half sized lattice panels (wood) are also not expensive and work for the Sebbies. We use both with good results. I have one set of lattice that is a permanent barrier, will get some photos of it to share.
Never use chicken wire, it rusts quickly, is pointless as a fence since it bends and sags easily. They can learn to walk it down, or push under it.
Luckily you have all summer to save and buy a little at a time to make their breeding set ups.
Ok thanks, that would be awesome!

What I was thinking is I will be old enought to have a job soon! and IF I can save up some money I was going to buy some non-climb 6ft tall horse fencing for an exterior fence then inside I would use some other (alot cheeper) fencing to make little breeding sections, I was going to do 4-6 strands of eletric wire on the exterior fence to detur anything for climbing it then do something at the top to stop the dang cyotes from jumping over. dose that sound like it might work?

Also are thier any books I can read to learn a little about sebbie/toulouse genetics and breeding info?

Sebastopol genetics is different from other breeds with the color backgrounds. You can join the Sebbie lovers forum that CottageRose started. It has tons of info in it on genetics and colors and how they work together and what the outcome of crossing Gamder color x to goose color y.

Dewlap Toulouse are simple, grey or buff and that's it. Run grey with grey and buff with buff. Now actually getting quality dewlaps worth breeding, you are looking at an investment and the time to grow them out and judge them to the SOP for possible breeding.

Your fence idea sounds good. Hotwire is always a smart choice. We keep two great Pyrenees as out predator protection. Nothing is full proof including the dogs, but having a plan of action is what is important. If you have serious predators like cyotes you should make housing where the geese can be locked in at night for protection. No need to invest in birds to give a meal away to a predator. Goose housing is easy. 4' high, length depends on how many inside. Simple rectangle taller in front than in back to drain water/snow ect. A door and some vents and they call it a palace.

Sebastopol genetics is different from other breeds with the color backgrounds. You can join the Sebbie lovers forum that CottageRose started. It has tons of info in it on genetics and colors and how they work together and what the outcome of crossing Gamder color x to goose color y.
Dewlap Toulouse are simple, grey or buff and that's it. Run grey with grey and buff with buff. Now actually getting quality dewlaps worth breeding, you are looking at an investment and the time to grow them out and judge them to the SOP for possible breeding.
Your fence idea sounds good. Hotwire is always a smart choice. We keep two great Pyrenees as out predator protection. Nothing is full proof including the dogs, but having a plan of action is what is important. If you have serious predators like cyotes you should make housing where the geese can be locked in at night for protection. No need to invest in birds to give a meal away to a predator. Goose housing is easy. 4' high, length depends on how many inside. Simple rectangle taller in front than in back to drain water/snow ect. A door and some vents and they call it a palace.
As of right now I allreay have a show quality grey toulouse gander from Holderreads and I am talking to them now to get on the list for the fall adult sale. I tried to join the sebbie lovers forum about a month ago and never heard back from CottageRose so I dont know what is going on? I would love to have a dog or two but my parents said no so that is not a option. How big of a coop for a trio of geese would I need? and you said you are running 3 females to one male for the toulouse?

Yes as of right now we have three geese and 1 gander in Buff Dewlap (not production) two more eggs still hatching so hoping for a second gander. We had bought two ganders, one died shortly after arriving, it never grew, the others were double it's size.

Back
Top Bottom