How should I house my quail?

alecat28

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I am new to Coturnix and have 8 males and 9 females. I have 3 cages each about 6 square feet floor space. I hatched them all together so they are the same age and have just started to lay. I noticed the males chasing the females so much they never seemed to get any rest so I pulled the males out. Now I am wondering the best way to house them all. I am not looking for the best fertility ratio necessarilly because I don't want to breed. I just want to keep them as pets and utilize the eggs for food. But I am trying to find a peaceful set-up. There are 2 or 3 males that seem more excitable than the others and these males are trying to mate the less aggressive males. No physical damage done yet but I am hoping to prevent any.

Should I house the females in 2 pens with maybe 2 roos each so I'd have a 2:4/5 ratio and then put the remaining males in a pen?

Or go with a 1:4/5 ratio and put the extra males in a separate pen?

Cull 5 males and go with 3 pens of 1:3 ratio?

I know it may take some adjusting depending on temperment but I just don't know what to try first.

Suggestions?

After having hens battered near to death. We culled and made Stew out of the more aggressive males. Leave all the hens together and keep no more than 2 males with them is what I would do. I have only been with Coturnix since this Spring and we have had 3 pots of stew so far. I stopped feeling bad about it when I was having to nurse a poor hen in a hospital crate for 3 weeks due to my "favorite" male being a killer.

Back
Top Bottom