How should I keep my ducklings pen clean?

Your too funny.
By the way....what lind of ducks do you have. It looks like my Mack (female) duck.

28041_miln2757.jpg

I think mine is half Pekin half Rouen

That is an adorable pic!!!! I have mine in a pen just like XFile's except I use straw. My ducks roam the yard during the day and are only in their pen after dark. I just finished cleaning: I fork the straw into the wheelbarrow and put it in the garden. Then I sprinkle Stall-Dry all over, especially in the wet areas (there are plenty) and then I put fresh straw in. The stall-dry really works great - smell is gone instantly and no flies. The chickens are in the pen more than the ducks are and rake it all around really well. They also eat all the ducks' feed
somad.gif

Quote:
I started out with straw before I did the pea gravel..The hay was bad,it got to smell so bad and the flys and if it gets wet will never dry and I cleaned it everday and still had no luck ever getting it clean enough..Mine also are let out during the day in the yard I have to stay out there with them as my yard is not fenced..They never leave my yard...My neighbor sits outside to watch them he loves ducks and raises birds in his house...

I really think pea gravel is the way to go - definitely agree with you there. I'm going through straw like crazy because we've had alot of rain. I'm thinking pea gravel in the summer topped with straw or hay in the winter for warmth might be the way to go. Haven't been through a winter yet so this will be an adventure.

Quote:
That is what I am going to do in the winter put straw over the rock and take out the pool and just use bucket type water..It will be way to hard to keep the pool going my hose is always frozen up...
Last year I didnt have that cage and they wouldnt come out of the garage and it was a mess because I had to feed them and water..Hope this winter is better..

California Duckin,

your duck looks like maybe a Fawn/White Runner mixed with a Rouen...

The placement of the markings look like my FW runners' and the bright orange legs are like my runners'......

it's super cute!!

Back
Top Bottom