How should you treat ducks for lice?

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Im just wondering on what I should do to treat my ducks for lice, so I don’t end up getting disqualified at a future show (I didn’t get disqualified at the show I entered my ducks into today). Thanks

Last edited:
What are the symptoms you are seeing, have you seen lice on your duck? I know you can get pour on medications for mites and lice, there will be an egg withdrawl period after using something like that. But I will have to tag someone for the type to use and dosage
@casportpony
If your duck does in fact have lice I don't think I would take it to a show. :hmm

Im just wondering on what I should do to treat my ducks for lice, so I don’t end up getting disqualified at a future show (I didn’t get disqualified at the show I entered my ducks into today). Thanks
Welcome to BYC!

Duck do get mites and lice. If they do have lice you will need to treat them *and* their coop. To treat the coop I use a permethrin spray. Can you get a permethrin spray in AU?

Ducks have so much down that it makes using a spray or dust on them difficult, so the easiest way to treat ducks for mites and lice is with ivermectin. One dose of ivermectin and all mites and lice should be dead in 24-72 hours. Here in the US we can buy:
  • Injectable for cattle which we give orally
  • Pour on for cattle
  • Oral paste for horses
  • Oral for sheep and goats
What ivermectin products can you get in AU? Let me know what you can get and I will calculate a dose for you.

Do people that show ducks bathe them? If so, another option would be to use a dog or cat flea shampoo. If you decide to do that let me know what what you want to use and I will check to see if it is safe for birds.

Last edited:
What are the symptoms you are seeing, have you seen lice on your duck? I know you can get pour on medications for mites and lice, there will be an egg withdrawl period after using something like that. But I will have to tag someone for the type to use and dosage
@casportpony
If your duck does in fact have lice I don't think I would take it to a show. :hmm
Good point about egg withdrawal! Here in the US there is no official egg withdrawal. I will look into that.

I’ve seen lice on by ducks, their behavior isn’t any different though they don’t lay that often. The ducks usually begin to lay in Spring except the muscovies which will lay a few different months in the year.

People who show ducks don’t usually bathe them I think. But I have been just to get the mud off their legs and bill. Then I let them clean themselves.

Welcome to BYC!

Duck do get mites and lice. If they do have lice you will need to treat them *and* their coop. To treat the coop I use a permethrin spray. Can you get a permethrin spray in AU?

Ducks have so much down that it makes using a spray or dust on them difficult, so the easiest way to treat ducks for mites and lice is with ivermectin. One dose of ivermectin and all mites and lice should be dead in 24-72 hours. Here in the US we can buy:
  • Injectable for cattle which we give orally
  • Pour on for cattle
  • Oral paste for horses
  • Oral for sheep and goats
What ivermectin products can you get in AU? Let me know what you can get and I will calculate a dose for you.

Do people that show ducks bathe them? If so, another option would be to use a dog or cat flea shampoo. If you decide to do that let me know what what you want to use and I will check to see if it is safe for birds.

Hi there, I'm in Ontario Canada, are you able to tell me the dose for ivermectin cattle for a duck?? I have a large male muscovy just rescued and he has lice. I'm guessing I'll need to treat w the chickens he shares a coop w too.

I do have permythrin spray, what concentration do you use for the coop??

Back
Top Bottom