How smart is your duck?

Zesty108

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Miami, Florida
I never realized before I got my duckling that they do have brains lol. I let my Zesty on the floor of the room while I clean his cage and re line newspaper etc, and today when I put his fresh water and food in he walked over and jumped right it. I always put him back in after I place the food and water, I dont know if he went in cause he wanted the food, or if hes just learned that its time to go back in, but I like to think hes smart
smile.png

I quickly "trained" mine to go back into the brooder when I was done cleaning it, too.

However, from other observations of mine, I don't think my ducks are particularly bright. LOL But it makes them all the more loveable and comical to watch.
gig.gif

My ducks all know where the treats are kept and if you don't shut the backdoor properly, will sneak in and all stand in front of the fridge mentally willing it open. They also know they are not allowed in the house, so they will sneak in as quietly as they can. My littlest duck Doog however gets too excited and always lets one little squeak out and that's when I come in and find them and kick em all back out. Hehehehehh

We have a houseduck named Rupert. He is very smart. We even trained him to walk up the pet stairs beside the bed when he wants to sleep with us!

I think my runners are ducksmart.
lol.png

They recognize the containers that hold peas, they know by my tone of voice if they have gone beyond the safe zone when we go for our walks, they quietly walk into the duckhouse if a predator shows up.

My ducks know that whenever it starts to get dark, they should go to bed. Now every night when I go to lock them up for the night, they are already in their coop laying down.
smile.png

Also, when I bring them up front in my yard to go swimming (thats where I keep their pool) and I disappear for a second to get something, they will either stand by the steps to my house or begin to make their way down back to their pen.

Quote:
he doesent poop in the bed? or you use a diaper?

We use a diaper. No poop in the bed for us!

Back
Top Bottom