How smart is your duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zesty108, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Zesty108

Zesty108 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Miami, Florida
    I never realized before I got my duckling that they do have brains lol. I let my Zesty on the floor of the room while I clean his cage and re line newspaper etc, and today when I put his fresh water and food in he walked over and jumped right it. I always put him back in after I place the food and water, I dont know if he went in cause he wanted the food, or if hes just learned that its time to go back in, but I like to think hes smart [​IMG]

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Of course he's a genius! [​IMG]

3. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I quickly "trained" mine to go back into the brooder when I was done cleaning it, too.

However, from other observations of mine, I don't think my ducks are particularly bright. LOL But it makes them all the more loveable and comical to watch. [​IMG]

4. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    My ducks all know where the treats are kept and if you don't shut the backdoor properly, will sneak in and all stand in front of the fridge mentally willing it open. They also know they are not allowed in the house, so they will sneak in as quietly as they can. My littlest duck Doog however gets too excited and always lets one little squeak out and that's when I come in and find them and kick em all back out. Hehehehehh

5. houseduck

houseduck New Egg

Aug 4, 2011
    We have a houseduck named Rupert. He is very smart. We even trained him to walk up the pet stairs beside the bed when he wants to sleep with us!

6. Zesty108

Zesty108 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Miami, Florida
    Quote:he doesent poop in the bed? or you use a diaper?

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think my runners are ducksmart.[​IMG]

They recognize the containers that hold peas, they know by my tone of voice if they have gone beyond the safe zone when we go for our walks, they quietly walk into the duckhouse if a predator shows up.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I taught my house duck to use the doggie door, and also get into it's crate to go night night. [​IMG]

9. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    My ducks know that whenever it starts to get dark, they should go to bed. Now every night when I go to lock them up for the night, they are already in their coop laying down. [​IMG]

Also, when I bring them up front in my yard to go swimming (thats where I keep their pool) and I disappear for a second to get something, they will either stand by the steps to my house or begin to make their way down back to their pen.

10. houseduck

houseduck New Egg

Aug 4, 2011
    Quote:he doesent poop in the bed? or you use a diaper?

We use a diaper. No poop in the bed for us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by