How soon can the babies fly out of the brooder?

Mine are 5 days and are already practicing. I hope we have a little longer because I can't get that lid on right until I can raise that heat lamp a few more inches and I have more babies coming this week. I guess I better look for plan b!

At 2 weeks and 2 days 2 of my RIR and 1 of the Speckled Sussex gave me a run for my money after a few hours outside in the warm weather. It's a shame no one saw, it was amusing to watch I'm sure. :)

Last edited:
had my first escapee over the weekend (6 weeks old) and i've had several that like to hang out on the edge of the brooder while i'm feeding and cleaning i think my first flyer to the edge was around 4 weeks old but their brooder has really high sides and they have to use their roost to make it to the ledge but i have several of the 3 week olds that would be on the edges if their sides weren't so high because when i put them in the big girl box while the big girls are outside they can fly up on their roost which at leat 4-6 inches off the brooder floor and just about all of my younger ones can make it to their roost which a few inches off their floor

Thanks y'all, this is super helpful. We have 2BR, 2EE and 2RiR all 9 days old. BR Bindi is a sassy little thing and started yesterday flying to the top of the waterer to get a better look at us. Haven't seen any of the others follow suit, but they sure don't want to HOP from our hands anymore, just fly!
tongue.png

Until I can get to the hardware store for a screen, I put the wire mesh top to the outdoor fire pit on the end of the brooder with the waterer. Looks a little silly, but doing the trick for now. it's a long fall if they get out-they are in a brooder on a desk in the kitchen because the dogs are too curious to be trusted!

Once we have a screen, do we need to connect it to the brooder box or weight it down? Or will the screen be enough to keep them from flying out?

Mine are 5 weeks old and only try to get out if I walk off with one of them. A difference could be that mine have always been in see-through brooders. They get to see the world and don't get as bored or scared when approached.

My Cochin Banties are almost 2weeks old and are dive bombing each other at play time. Some of the bigger ones have made it about 8inches in the brooder. They are in A rubbermaid water trough that is a bout 3 ft deep so hopefully that will keep them in for a while
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom