How soon can you put one week old chicks with new hatchlings?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Phage, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    How soon can you put one week old chicks with new hatchlings?
    Thanks

2. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    depends how big your brooder is if the little ones can get away from them i would say at 1-2 weeks for the young ones.we have done it before

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I give the newly hatched chicks a couple of days to get used to eating, drinking, etc., then I will put them in with the older ones and watch to see if they all get along. They are all close enough in age so there shouldn't be a problem.

4. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Mine are 4 weeks apart. The 2 older ones are in a big brooder in the garage & the 2 new babies are in the house. Both brooders are heated & the chicks have 5 week old silkie nannies. My husband is adding a wire floor to a 3x5 brooder which we plan on moving the big ones into next week. The heatlamp will be on one side of the brooder. Can I move the younger ones in with the big ones when we finish the floor on the big brooder? We've integrated multiple ages of chicken chicks in this brooder with no problems.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I put my new hatches in with the 1-3 week chicks right out of the hatcher with no problems. The older ones also show the new ones how to eat and drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by