How soon can you take a chick from it's mom?

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
I have a hen and she has just one chick, it has been a hassle having her inside. I'd like to put the chick in with some other chicks the same age and put the hen back outside. How soon can I take the chick with out tramitizing the mom?

I too was going to say, just do it! Or you could put them outside together and see how far she goes without the chick. Then just take it. Then to her it will at least look like she lost it, rather than you taking it.
gig.gif

I've had to do this for various reasons, and the hens always got over it. They may fuss for a few days, try to get back to where the chicks are, but eventually they get over it.

I'd do it during the day where you can watch...the hen will be fine ...just let her back in with the other adult hens in the evening, when they roost they don't have time to worry about another bird being added...the chick will have an easy time usually..just watch for pecking...

imho I'd put the chick in with the other chicks and keep an eye on it for a day or so (you didn't mention how old it is) to be sure it will settle in with them. If not, you may have to put it in with it's mom again. Once you know it's fine, just put mom back out. She may be upset for a couple of days, but you'd be surprised at how fast she'll forget.
roll.png

Never having owned either breed, I know nothing of the temperaments of either. However, especially as they grow, there will be a considerable size difference, which is something to keep in mind especially in a confined space like a brooder. But it still would be worth the try I think. I just wouldn't put mama out until I'm sure all the babies concerned will be ok. The ideal thing would be to fence off an area in the coop mama will go into and move them both out there. Mama will keep baby warm and the other birds will get used to the chick. Then, in a few weeks, you could take down the fence and put them all together. This is just the way I do things, everyone has their own ways.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom