Moving mom and 6 wk old chics

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
Situation: mom hen with 7 six week old chicks sleep in outside smaller coop inside main run. I have 23 adult birds. The chicks intermingle on a daily basis with the total flock. No issues whatever with integration. I'd like to move these little ones and momma after dark into the main coop. What do you think?? Anyone with experience doing this? I figure momma will abandon the chicks sometime next week and go into main coop leaving the little ones on their own. And I'd like them inside where it's safer. I've already put down 12 coons this summer. Outside little coop is more vulnerable. Thanks in advance.

That's how I do it.
After dark, my daughter helps me catch and carry them all.
I usually take a flake of hay and make a nest in a corner on the floor to put them in.
Usually my broodies will stick with this nest until little ones can fly up to the roosts with her.
I have had broodies leave the chicks early as 4 weeks and others keep mothering over 8.
Just depends on the hen I guess.
Good luck!

That's how I do it.
After dark, my daughter helps me catch and carry them all.
I usually take a flake of hay and make a nest in a corner on the floor to put them in.
Usually my broodies will stick with this nest until little ones can fly up to the roosts with her.
I have had broodies leave the chicks early as 4 weeks and others keep mothering over 8.
Just depends on the hen I guess.
Good luck!
Thanks! What I needed to hear

Back
Top Bottom