How Soon Do You Name Your Chicks?

CitySilkies88

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
NE Ohio
I know some people don't name their Chickens at all. But I love to name my animals. My three Silkie hens are named Rainbow, Sally, and Tundra.

But I bought them as mature pullets.....With the new chicks and it being my first time raising youngsters, I am almost afraid to name them. They are alittle under a week old and I am afraid that as soon as I name them I will jinx them and they will die.....Yes I am a paranoid new mom lol.

And really I would rather give them names that suit their personalities. And I have only had them for four days so I am not the best at telling them all apart just yet. So I think I am going to wait a week and see if any names come to me then.

Until then I am going to be a big dork and visit the baby name websites so I can atleast make out a long list of favorite names to choose from lol.

Anyways like the title says. How soon do you name your chicks?

Last edited:
I have six pullets.

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
and
Cruella

Cruella will bring us 101 dalmatian puppies and then be eaten. Since I won't know how long that will take, we'll eat some day some time...later.

Last edited:
well after our chicken massacre 2 wks ago...or so...

I really didnt wanna name ANY of our new chicks...but before I had my bantam out of the store I had her named..thumbelina...and my girls have alreayd named some...
I Said remembe what happened when our flock was attacked?? your named ones are gone and you hurt your heart...they said "Its worth it"..

sooo...our chicks get names asap lol..

Pretty much as soon as we pick them out of the little coop at the feed store. :p

As we don't get new chicks very often (two every two years, our garden is too small for any more) I'm usually thinking of names months in advance when buy time comes again. :lol:

Sometimes the names turn out to suit the chicks, which I guess is just luck, other times they don't, but the names still grow on them anyway. The latest two were gold. LT grew up to be orange (LT 23 the actual is also painted orange) and Cherry grew up to be a lovely dark red. It was great.

I cant tell mine apart. Well 2 I can. One is the biggest Buff orpington out of the 8. She's Biggurl. And I have 1 Australorp out of 8 that comes quickly whe called, He's Booger.

I used to get my chicks confused all the time, which didn't help with the early naming. :p

They get more recognisable as they grow older though.

Last edited:
We originally werent going to name any of them. We told our 3 girls that they will one day be dinner and its easier to do if they dont have names so we dont get attatch as much. Then the little chickies arrived by mail and i was so nervous for them to get them home and warm them up. They were so cute and sweet. My girls still wanted to name them but kept remembering NO we arent naming them. Then we had one naughty EE from day one that was screened off in a timeout corner and i kept referring to her as Timeout and I liked being able to call her a name. So one by one they were all slowly named I named 7 my 3 daughters each named one and I let my neice and nephew name theres. Id say they were named in the first 5 days. My husband shook his head at me and I said what I love them they are my friends lol. SO we now have
Daughter - renamed timeout to Ocean blue
Daughter - Rose
Daughter - Tori
Niece - rocky
Nephew - Miss Lady
I named Veda
Stella
Bliss
Kenevil
Queen Bea
Pip
Willow

Last edited:
We have 2 week old chicks, I've let my daughter's name 2 that I'm pretty sure are girls. The rest will wait until we know who's a hen and who's dinner;)

The first 11 were easy for me to name, but these last 6 were a lot harder!! I literally just finished naming them tonight!

In total I have:
Sara
Princess lay-a
Lolly pop
Dixie
Ellie may
Daisy may

Goldie
Joy
Callie
Luna
Clara