how soon to collect eggs

Bisqit&Gravy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
While I'm thinking about it......I know someone here has an answer.

How soon does the eggs need to be collected after it's laid and does heat effect it.
I collect what's there in the morning and then again in the evening b/c my girls have changed shifts on me. It's hot and humid outside now and was melting hot before 10 am this morning. The eggs I pulled out of their house were very hot. Are they still good?

I personally throw away hot eggs. Not sure if they are ok to eat or not but I just do.
You will get a good idea when your girls are done. I check 2-3 times a day because mine lay throughout the day.

Quote:
If they are hot they are freshly laid.

If you collect your eggs morning and night - even in drastically hot weather - they are perfectly fine. It takes a lot more than a hot day to ruin a fresh egg.

I washed the ones from today and put them in the fridge seperate from the others. Guess I need to toss them b/c the heat worries me.

I got an egg the other day right after the hen laid it and it wasn't as hot as the ones I got today.

The eggs are fine. Eggs can sit on the kitchen counter for 6 weeks and be perfectly fresh. A hot summer day will not ruin your eggs.

If you are worried about eating them there is no cause for worry.

If you still refuse to eat them boil them up and feed them back to the hens. They can use the protein and the calcium.

Girl I'm with you! I work full-time and keep up with chickens 2 dogs and 2 kids and 2 grandkids and mu 72 year old mother and my husband! My eggs sit on th ecounter until I can get to them and I have never had a bad egg! Mine are hot now when I get them but no worries She is right about Fresh eggs! My lab loves any cracked or that have been damaged by my hens. Helps his coat!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom