How soon?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheRookie, Feb 29, 2012.

1. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay I know that on my Silkies, we wont be able to tell gender for several weeks[​IMG] BUT... we supposedly have 10 Production Red pullets and and 2 roos. When could we start to tell? They are three days old and I have pictures of wings and combs if that would help. Thanks [​IMG]

2. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    At 3-5 weeks you'll begin to see the roos! The key is to be patient! [​IMG]I know, it's hard. LOL

3. TheRookie

What should I look out for to tell the difference? First ever batch of chicks and I'm just tryin to do all the research I can so I know what to look for. Thanks [​IMG]

4. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    The combs for the roos will be bigger and more apparent( even at a young age)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  5. TheRookie

Okay this is old but on my babies.. the ones I am pretty sure are roos (larger, darker combs and redder wattle area) they are really slow to feather. They are almost three weeks and both of them are just now getting in their tail feathers, other feathers on wings and breast are coming slowly now. Isnt it usually the females who are bigger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by