How tall are your standard hens?

4myHennyPenny

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Colorado
Silly question, I know... but it keeps coming up with coop design issues. And as I don't actually have any grown hens yet (my chicks don't even arrive until next week), I'm not sure of the answer. I can't even seem to find it online or in my books.

So for those of you willing to take up the task, could you tell me about how tall your standard hens are? Even a guesstimate would be great. I realize there will probably be some variation between breeds, and those I'm most interested in are Buff Orps, Ameraucanas/EEs, and Barred Rocks.

Thanks!

Maybe 16 inches, my Australorp is the biggest and I'm guesstimating using my floor tiles as a reference...lol
lol.png
My EE's are very close to her size.

A couple of weeks ago, a fellow from Brazil posted some pictures on this website of some chickens called "Gallina Indio Gigante". I swear they looked to be almost 30 inches high. They were some long lanky things that stood upright. They appeared to be mixtures of several breeds, but they all had this tall look to them.

Rufus

My lankiest bird, a RIR, is about 12" at her back when she is standing up straight, and then about 18" total tall to the top of her head. My two BRs and two SLW are an inch or so shorter at the back and head. My Americana/EE is roughly the same height as the BRs but she is far more "delicately built" - lighter, more slender in profile, and significantly fluffier. She probably weighs a pound or two less than them. I think 16" at the head as a general figure is good.

I just went out and measured them- they did not like it.
smile.png

-MTchick

oops

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif
Thanks for putting them through that for me! Looks like I can now go back to my original plans for the roost height. The roost will be under a gabled roof with the two ends allowing 18" of headroom above the roost and the middle allowing 36". Very grateful for your help.
smile.png

Sounds like plenty of room to me. I think mine dont even have 18" but I have never measured it. The roost is in the peak of coop and they don't stand up long once they get on there. I think they like it when they can get up as high as possible as they feel safer then. Sounds like you will have happy chicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom