How tall of a fence do I need for a pygmy goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken 86, Oct 21, 2011.

1. chicken 86

chicken 86 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    There are lots of treats if he got out (like chicken feed, lots of plants, hills, garden). How high of a fence do I need?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    As long as there isn't anything next to the fence he can climb on to jump over or run up to bounce off of, a 4-ft. fence should be fine. Our pen is fenced with 4 ft. welded farm fence-----with landscape posts placed every 6 ft. and also for rails. But our pen is about 10,000 square feet.

3. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    My Pigmy Buck rammed the fences when he got board...he was a mess, and a pet..so all around his pen the fences are bulging....they can climb trees too, I couldn't believe it..but they did ! ~Charm1704 [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    The question is how STRONG of a fence do you need for a pygmy goat. [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:My goat does the same thing. He loves ramming the fence in his goat "arena". What I did was........ the height of his horns and the area where he rams has (2) 2 x 4s nailed on top of each other ALL AROUND the perimeter. So when he goes to ramming the fence, he is actually ramming his horns into those (2) 2 x4 s. He can't break those.

The boards that you see is where he loves to ram his horns into. He has not been able to bust out of this area. The only time that he got out was when he pushed his spool near the fence and he jumped out. Since then, I have taken the spool out. He is too short and fat to jump out. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by