How tall of a fence will keep bantams in?

CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
We have bantams mainly (although we do have larger chicks too, a Welsummer and a Leghorn on the way). But...I'm wondering how tall a fence has to be to keep bantams inside the yard so they can free range (while I watch them like a hawk)? Is a 4 foot fence tall enough for the bantam sized chickens not to fly over it?

What kind of bantums do you have? Sebrights fly incredibly well, cochins a little and silkies not at all so it really varies. My bantum cochin frizzle can't fly but she is a really good digger and kept getting under the fence by digging small holes and squeezing through.

Your leghorn will be able to fly very well. Mine can clear a 5 ft fence with clipped wings. (laughing at me the whole time. lol.)

What kind of bantums do you have? Sebrights fly incredibly well, cochins a little and silkies not at all so it really varies. My bantum cochin frizzle can't fly but she is a really good digger and kept getting under the fence by digging small holes and squeezing through.

Your leghorn will be able to fly very well. Mine can clear a 5 ft fence with clipped wings. (laughing at me the whole time. lol.)

Ahh I had no idea sebrights could fly well...figured it was a size thing and pretty much went across the board. We don't have any sebrights, but thank you for the information, for sure. I don't think I want one of those. lol!

Your leghorn will clear a 5ft fence with clipped wings??? Good grief, Charlie Brown. I think we're going to have to build that chicken tractor/wheeled contraption after all. I was hoping to free range them but we're in the city, and them flying over the fence just isn't an option. lol

Most bantams can fly really well. My Japanese Bantams will fly up onto my house roof if they are startled. They can fly in long straight lines, and gain height, like a regular bird!

You could clip their wings and then the fence will keep them in. I don't do this any more as one day some hopped up a tree and went over the fence, then could not get back in - and 2 got killed by a dog.

Now they can fly away from danger!

Depends what kind of bantam. My Cochins hardly fly at all, and same with the Brahmas. But them d"uccles, oh boy. My Temple will fly 30 feet *around* the house, just to land on my head. She really goes more for distance and is fairly low to the ground, but if she's startled she can get a good 6+ feet of height. The roos don't fly as much, but the girlies, especially younger ones, will fly like crazy when they want. I would just build a tractor. They're pretty easy and don't have to be very big for bantams, and you get the grass, bugs, foraging experience without the risk of one hopping the fence. :)

Blaarrghh...yup, we're going to have to build the tractor. Thank you for the info everyone! I'm bummed out that I can't watch our chickens wander around the yard, but I'll get over it. =]
You can still let them out once they are settled in. They will not just fly away! When they are used to you and the garden you can let them out when you are about to keep an eye on them. Mine rarely leave the garden - and they all know the way home if they do go out.

You can still let them out once they are settled in. They will not just fly away! When they are used to you and the garden you can let them out when you are about to keep an eye on them. Mine rarely leave the garden - and they all know the way home if they do go out.

x2 Chickens are great at wanting to stay home if they have everything that they want right there in your yard. I used to let mine free range the whole space then decided to fence half off. The chickens decided they like the original rules better and find ways to ignore my fence and continue to roam the whole yard. I have not bothered to put any additional effort into containing them. My 2 leghorns could easily go to the neighbors if they wanted to as they can fly higher than the coop roof but they have never once done that in the 2 years I have had them.

Quote: X3
Our OEGB flew to the top of the covered porch when they were young. We have always kept an eye on them when they're out in the back yard. After a few times of exploring (and clipping one wing on each bird once or twice), they've not attempted to leap any fences or onto the rooftop again. I do have an approximately 240 sq. ft. covered run that they roam in when I'm not home. The rest of the time they roam the entire yard and don't venture out of it. -don't think it will be necessary for you to confine them to a tractor once they get a bit older and are well familiar with their home.

Back
Top Bottom