How the heck do I get rid of fire ants inside the chicken run?? šŸ˜±šŸ˜±šŸ˜±

Boiling water will work temporarily / but it will not reach down as far as you need to go to kill the queen. Once her top workers start dying, she will start reproducing like crazy and within a week or so a new mound will appear close to the old one. So this may work temporarily, but you must kill the queen in order to kill the whole mound.
Ugh. Ok. Thatā€™s true. I didnā€™t think about the Queen.

We are inundated with fire ants, I have even lost quail to fire ants. I have tried every method, every chemical out there and nothing worked until I found this....

20210706_142902.jpg

This WILL kill the entire mound. But use it very carefully, do NOT sprinkle it willy nilly, it stinks like a dead carcass and NOTHING kills the smell but months of time. So use it ONLY on the mound, don't go around the coop or it will gag you for months! Sprinkle it around and on the mound with a light powdering and give it a few days. Repeat if necessary.

Boiling water will work temporarily / but it will not reach down as far as you need to go to kill the queen. Once her top workers start dying, she will start reproducing like crazy and within a week or so a new mound will appear close to the old one. So this may work temporarily, but you must kill the queen in order to kill the whole mound.
I've not had any near enough my chicks to be concerned. If they stay far enough from the house is good enough for me. It would be a small fortune to actually eradicate them from the property.

I've not had any near enough my chicks to be concerned. If they stay far enough from the house is good enough for me. It would be a small fortune to actually eradicate them from the property.
Just get some dust and sprinkle it on every mound you find. Do you know what they look like? Weā€™re on 2 acres in NC so fire ants are part of life. The chickens seem to naturally avoid the mounds (so do my dogs) but we donā€™t want them around. I take the dust with me when I mow the lawn and when I come across a mound I sprinkle it. Very easy and def doesnā€™t cost a small fortune!

Yes I have used this for years in the chicken run and outside of it where my dogs play. Never have had an issue.
Where do you buy yours? I looked at Amazon and on Home Depot online and canā€™t find it. If itā€™s as good as you say I must find it and kill these little buggers šŸ˜¬šŸ¤£

Just get some dust and sprinkle it on every mound you find. Do you know what they look like? Weā€™re on 2 acres in NC so fire ants are part of life. The chickens seem to naturally avoid the mounds (so do my dogs) but we donā€™t want them around. I take the dust with me when I mow the lawn and when I come across a mound I sprinkle it. Very easy and def doesnā€™t cost a small fortune!
I know what they look like. I've used pounds and pounds of Amdro (pre chickens) and still have them. The best I can do is keep them at bay. My chicks have been seen walking on mounds. Maybe immune like possums are to snake venom? Small fortune to eradicate where I live.

Back
Top Bottom