How to add a second broody to the previous that has been sitting on eggs for 8 days?

sararoni

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
chicago
I have a broody that has been sitting on 9 fertile eggs that my friend gave me. We dont have a rooster.
I have her in a dog cage inside a separated part of the run.
The other hens have probably forgotten her and now I have another broody.
I like the idea of both of them caring for the chicks but don't know if it is safe to introduce them at this point and how.
Should I make her another nest in the separated run where the broody is?
I am afraid they might start fighting for the eggs that are due in 2 weeks and brake them.
What would you do?

Last edited:
Yes I would hate If that happens as the kids are counting the days till hatch time too.
Also this second hen that went broody is a little on the aggressive side.

I wouldn't take the chance on the chickens breaking the eggs. I would separate them . im not an expert but I know chickens like their privacy.

I have to ducks fighting over the nest and they keep kicking out the eggs. but then again my peacocks two hens last year sat side by side in each nest and the hatch was good. I was nervous lol

I put her in a dog crate inside the run near the other broody but she freaked out and is not settling down.
I gave her 3 eggs but she scattered them all around the cage while trying like crazy to find an escape way.
She has food and water in cups tied at the door and I am not going to let her out for a few days hoping she will continue to be broody.
I should have moved her at night but I am impatient...

Back
Top Bottom