How to add insulation to existing metal roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Is there any way to add insulation to a metal roof that's already installed? If so, what kind?

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Yes but the kind really depends on your set-up. I have found that things like the blue R-board (which comes in different thicknesses) is easy to work with and can be custom sized. Having said that, I recently added "insulation" to my small coop and ended up using bubble wrap covered by cardboard - not truly ideal but the roosts in my coop are close to the roof and I wanted to use something the chickens wouldn't be interested in and/or wouldn't be harmed by if they pecked at it - so far, the cardboard is uninteresting and it has definitely helped with condensation issues and the coop is a little warmer.

3. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

Would need to know the "structure" under that metal to make a good recommendation.

In other words, what do you have room for? If the rafters are in the open you could add blue foam on the bottoms to get the R value up and still have some air movement above it, a pic showing your inside roof would be good.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Agreed. If you have pics of how the roof is held down and how it joins to the structure, that would be great. If not, could you take a stab at describing it?

5. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Spray foam.

6. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Thanks. I'll get a few pictures when my little one takes a nap in a few hours. I know the rafters are open, I figure I can cut the blue board and slip it between the rafters.

7. 70monte

70monte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    I used some stuff from Lowe's called Reflextic or something like that. I tried to post pictures but this new forum would not let me for some reason.

I used a staple gun to install it.

Wayne

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by