How to Assist Hatch An Egg (Parrot) That Is Pipping Upside Down?

You might want to edit your thread title and original post to specify this is a parrot egg. Else we'd likely assume chicken egg, which might bring you information that isn't relevant. I sure can't help out with a parrot egg!

I added "parrot" to your title. Good luck with your chick!

I don't know anything specific about parrots, but to answer your most recent question, I suspect chirping is a good thing. It almost certainly means he is breathing--if you don't have air, you can't make vocal sounds.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like hatching parrot eggs is way harder than hatching chicken or duck eggs. I hope this one turns out well!

ok here goes.....
I have hatched parrot eggs and assisted hatching.
I used a Brinsea incubator and I didn't have a back up hydrometer.....totally my fault.
The chick was saved and I understand your concern.

I now have backups for my backups!

I've never hatched a parrot egg or even a chicken egg for that matter but I wish you and the little one the best of luck. You seem extremely knowledgeable and obviously have the best interests of the parrot in mind. If he/she makes it I know we would all love to see a picture. Good luck to both of you!
smile.png

I forgot to post the result in this thread, I hope I haven't kept everyone waiting.
Unfortunately the baby did not make it. Everything seemed to be going well - the baby was chirping and breathing and yolk sac was being drawn in. The baby seemed to be of normal size. It was definitely in an odd position, however. When I thought it was about time for the egg to be hatching (yolk sac was very small, baby was moving around, trying to zip around the egg) I slept that night and awoke to a dead chick. It's just very hard to assist hatch from such an early point, and if you need to assist hatch, there's always the possibility that the baby is too weak to thrive. Even in chicks that hatch independently, a few days prior to hatch you can tell whether they're thriving or not... Some are just genetically weak. Parrot eggs are much more difficult to manage than poultry eggs, that's for sure, and seem more difficult than pigeon and songbird eggs as well. Luckily, you learn from every mistake and every mishap, whether it is your fault or not. I feel this one I could have handled better.

Thank you everyone for posting your advice here.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have hatched Parrots & button quail (not Chickens), i have helped them...and i have left some to their fate....depends on what I was hatching them for, their value, and whether I thought I could help them or not.

some things you just can't fix, others you can.

thumbsup.gif

You don't know til you know

Last edited:
Thanks for the support, it is so very true that some of them can't be helped, and it's also true that sometimes we make fatal mistakes. Luckily it is a learning experience... I've already got more eggs from my pair and this time, I am being much more careful. I have hatched many parrots in the past, but never have been in the situation to assist hatch - although I have done so with others. Most of my parrots hatch just fine, I've found they tend to be faster to hatch than other babies, and they pip like maniacs. Really fast. I suppose it's because of them having rather sharp beaks and thin shells. Anyway I'll probably keep people updated on the eggs I have now - just on day 3 and 5 right now, though, but both looking good.

Ya know, some people have told me that I was "getting started in the wrong season"...that is, I acquired my call ducks this fall and now have six practice RIR eggs in the incubator. I have come to feel I started in the right season for me, however, because I am reading so much on the subject at a time when I have plenty of time to read and absorb what I am reading, and really pay attention to what the incubator is doing or not doing. Better it is this way than in the "proper season", which is when I could be losing any valuable call duck eggs that my pairs lay!

Back
Top Bottom