how to attach PALruf to a roof?

Quote:
Company's brochure says 1/2-3/4" on the sides; 1- 1 1/2" at the bottom. They don't give a number for top of a shed roof but I'd go with the same #s as for the side.

Good luck,

Pat

I have a 3x5 coop with a plywood shed roof that only is a tiny bit larger than 3x5 but I was hoping I could install palruf to allow for a bigger overhang. Could I buy a piece of the thinest plywood, cut it to 4x6 and nail it to my existing plywood foof - and attach the palruf to the bigger wood? Then I could have 6" of overhang on each side?

dftkarin,

Often corrugated roofing is installed on purlins, which are supports that run perpendicular to the slope of the roof. They could be 1x2's, 2x4's, etc. You don't necessarily need to put a solid roof (i.e. plywood) on first.

In regards to overhang, you need to be clear as to whether you are thinking about overhang over the edges of the coop, which can be about as much as you want, assuming you have strong enough support with rafters/purlins, versus overhang of the roofing material (Palruf, in your case) extending beyond the underlying support of the rafters/purlins. The latter shouldn't be more than 2 inches.

You can probably find a lot on the internet with a Google search. Here's a site I found which might give you a litte info: http://www.buildeazy.com/roof.html

Good luck!

yup, what sillybirds said, exactly. To have the roof stick out further to the sides you need to attach (longer, stick-y-out-ier) 2x4 purlins.

Putting a larger piece of thin plywood will not work - you need at least an inch (preferably more like 2) to screw into, otherwise the roofing screws will not hold for long.

What is your existing plywood roof. If it is 5/8 or 3/4" ply and you use the mfr's filler strips, screwed on from the inside, you can probably get away with just attaching the palruf directly. But if it is thinner plywood, I would be concerned and suggest adding (or substituting) 2x4 purlins to attach the palruf and its filler strips to.

If you do end up attaching purlins (or nailers, as some call them) on top of your existing plywood roof, a) make sure they are screwed into STRUCTURE, not just plywood, and/or screw OUTWARDS so the screw heads are on the plywood inside the coop, otherwise it will not be a strong connection. And b) if it were me I would make each one in two halves, with an inch or so gap in the middle, so that any water that gets into the space between the palruf and the plywood can drain down and out rather than pooling badly and rotting thru the purlins and plywood.

Truly, the mfr's filler strips will help you get a MUCH more strongly attached and lasting roof.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom