How to attract the fox in subfreezing temps?

swampcat

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Brooklyn, CT
That darn fox is back and got my favorite chicken yesterday. The neighbor scared the fox off when she was trying to sneak away with my chicken, so I still have the majority of the body. We put poor Nelly chicken in the havahart trap last night. We saw the fox lurking around the area this morning, but it didn't venture into the trap. I'm wondering if it's because it was in the single digits last night and her body is frozen, therefore not giving off any sent. So here are my questions:

It's supposed to be well below freezing the next few days. I hate the idea but I suggested DH heat up Nelly chicken's body over the fire to get her toasty warm and smelly and then put her back in the cage. Would that work, or is there a better way to do this?

Where should we place the trap? Should we place it right next to the fox's normal path, next to where it left the chicken, or down back in some scrubby brush where we have seen it last spring?

Share your tips!!

And just so everyone knows:
According to the CT DEP website: "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]Removing problem foxes through trapping or hunting is only recommended during designated seasons or in situations where individual foxes show a pattern of preying on livestock."
So I'm perfectly legal in doing this.
[/FONT]

If you see the fox lurking around, why don't you just shoot it? They are very wary creatures and probably won't go into a live trap.

Share your tips!!

And just so everyone knows:
According to the CT DEP website: "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]Removing problem foxes through trapping or hunting is only recommended during designated seasons or in situations where individual foxes show a pattern of preying on livestock."
So I'm perfectly legal in doing this.
[/FONT]

You don't have to worry here, you will not find many people who will not tell you to kill it. I believe every state gives you the right to protect your flock with deadly force against nearly any threat, they only time it gets tricky is when humans or raptors are involved. There are a ton of laws protecting both and it helps to catch them red handed if you intend to use strict force with them (hehe, not sure what I would do about people in my coop). With all the federal laws in place I hope to never have to deal with either to tell the truth.

While I prefer not to kill apex predators I would never try to tell others how to deal with their own situation, they are all different. Many on this site would tell you to kill anything that looks cross-eyed at your flock, while others advocate catch and release (although many believe you are just dumping your problem on another person if you don't bother to move the said offender to where it is not near any people).

As for the fox, keep putting the trap out while trying different foods. I like to use peanut butter in an old tuna can that I just took the tuna out of. The smell of the tuna can draw them from quite a distance and peanut butter makes it so they can't gently grab it and sneak out of the trap, sounds odd but can happen. I also take a piece of wire and hook it around the bottom of the cage and hook the can just to keep it where I want it at the back of the trap. You can also continue to use the corpse of your dead chicken, the fox knows where your birds are now, it will eventually come for them, even if it isn't until hunting gets hard for it. Keep putting it out, you will eventually catch it....your like the Cops now, just waiting for that one slip-up and their yours!

If you see the fox lurking around, why don't you just shoot it? They are very wary creatures and probably won't go into a live trap.

Yeah, I agree but we have that pesky problem of a house in the general vicinity behind us. Husband says we can't shoot toward their house. I say there's enough trees between here and there to deflect any ammo gone awry
roll.png
just joking of course....

Last edited:
You don't have to worry here, you will not find many people who will not tell you to kill it. I believe every state gives you the right to protect your flock with deadly force against nearly any threat, they only time it gets tricky is when humans or raptors are involved. There are a ton of laws protecting both and it helps to catch them red handed if you intend to use strict force with them (hehe, not sure what I would do about people in my coop). With all the federal laws in place I hope to never have to deal with either to tell the truth.

While I prefer not to kill apex predators I would never try to tell others how to deal with their own situation, they are all different. Many on this site would tell you to kill anything that looks cross-eyed at your flock, while others advocate catch and release (although many believe you are just dumping your problem on another person if you don't bother to move the said offender to where it is not near any people).

As for the fox, keep putting the trap out while trying different foods. I like to use peanut butter in an old tuna can that I just took the tuna out of. The smell of the tuna can draw them from quite a distance and peanut butter makes it so they can't gently grab it and sneak out of the trap, sounds odd but can happen. I also take a piece of wire and hook it around the bottom of the cage and hook the can just to keep it where I want it at the back of the trap. You can also continue to use the corpse of your dead chicken, the fox knows where your birds are now, it will eventually come for them, even if it isn't until hunting gets hard for it. Keep putting it out, you will eventually catch it....your like the Cops now, just waiting for that one slip-up and their yours!

Tuna! Yes! Great idea! I wonder... what if I opened the can of tuna, and placed it under the chicken in the trap? Oh! I have sardines! Even stinkier! Where should we set it? On it's path or where it left the chicken, or by the coop and pen?

Ahhh... that does make it tricky.

You could try stacking straw bales around the trap so that it looks more like a den. Maybe leave the front and back open so it thinks it can pass through. Maybe set it up so it looks like a passage way to get to the rest of the chickens.

I am very vocal asking folks not to relocate the critters, but for a few reasons (apart from the fact that in many states it's illegal to relocate critters like fox and raccoons). A lot of predators can have rabies. It can take years for rabies to show symptoms, until they do they won't be transmitting the virus yet either. But you can catch a fox, relocate it, and if it has been exposed to rabies you could have just exposed other animals in another area and helped it spread (which is why there are laws against it). I have other reasons not to relocate but spreading disease is a big one.

A gland type lure will work, my favorite is Minnesota Trapline Products "gusto". It's a strong, skunky lure generally designed for fisher and marten trapping but I've found it really gets a canine's attention also. Use very sparingly, a tiny dab goes a long ways. Great for mean spirited practical jokes, DONT get any on you!

A bigger problem you might be having is that canines have a natural aversion to entering enclosed spaces other than natural burrows. Even those they are pretty skittish about. They can be trapped in box traps but it's much more difficult than a dirt hole or flat set with a double staked # 1 1/2 or 2 coilspring foothold.

I'd just use a shotgun with #4 shot. When fired at ground level that won't carry more than 100yards max. Plenty of power to dump a fox.

For your box trap I'd set it along a wall or brushpile or some natural edge where the fox is already moving. Camouflage the trap with loose grass, brush or something. Be careful not to get any of your scent on it. Wear rubber boots and gloves.

Last edited:
you got alot of good tips on bait. covering in straw would prob help too. But foxes are sneaky so it might help if you get cover sent people use for hunting so your trap won't have "fresh" human scent on it. Hope you get the lil rascal though.

Back
Top Bottom