How to bathe a chicken?

Thanks everyone for all the great tips!! I think I am going to try to just wash her head since that is where the poo is. I hope to get it done this weekend. I will keep you posted on the results!
Thanks,
Tina

One bathes a chicken similarly to how bathes a baby. Hava pan of clean warm water. Place the chicken in the water and get it TOTALLY wet. Note: It takes a while to totally wet chicken feathers. Once the chicken is wet, apply a mild pet shampoo and lather well. In a different pan either spray warm water, or pour water over the chicken until all soap has been removed. Pat dry the bird as much as possible; then, blow-dry the bird on a VERY low setting until dry. This process will take a long while. If the bird is still damp after 30 minutes, just keep it inside for at least 24 hours.

Luckily I haven't had to was a full-sized chicken yet. Yet. But when I was my bantam I start with two buckets of warmish water just slightly wider then the chicken, so that you can have your hands around his (or her) body holding his wings to his sides so that he doesn't get scared and start flapping. In the first bucket you disolve some kind of gentle soap, I use Ivory soap. You take your chicken and hold him with hands on both sides, dipping him slowly into the soapy water, dip him slowly in and out until he's pretty clean and any really dirty spots have soaked and loosened. Next, you'll dip him in the second bucket, filled with clean water. Do the dipping motion again until you feel you've got all the soap off. If your tub is shallow enough and your bird is calm enough or you have some extra helping hands around, you can rub its feathers it clean any really dirty spots. A towel will work fine for drying them off, just don't rub against the feathers. I don't recomend using a hair dryer. If you can, I'd leave them inside overnight so they don't catch a chill or go roll in the dust (you know they will).
If your washing for a show, you may want to do this a few days before to give your chicken time to fix any misplaced feathers.

Hope that helps!

I bathe my chicken with four tubs. making sure the water is not over there head and there feet can touch the ground. the first tub is a special shampoo to kill bugs. The second tub is a regular shampoo. The third tub is a vinegar rinse. The fourth tub is a rinse with a special oil for her feathers in it. This is my show kit. I use these shampoos and rinses to prepare her for show. Then I blow dry and brush her. She also has some special feather spray for afterward. hope this helps

I bathe my chicken with four tubs. making sure the water is not over there head and there feet can touch the ground. the first tub is a special shampoo to kill bugs. The second tub is a regular shampoo. The third tub is a vinegar rinse. The fourth tub is a rinse with a special oil for her feathers in it. This is my show kit. I use these shampoos and rinses to prepare her for show. Then I blow dry and brush her. She also has some special feather spray for afterward. hope this helps
What is the shampoo that kills bugs called?

My hen is 6mos old and all of a sudden she cannot stand up just lays with her legs extended in front of her. This has been going on four days now, she eats and drinks very little. She has been laying an egg a day but stopped four days ago. Can someone help as I am a new chicken keeper. I thought maybe my rooster got a little too vigorous and maybe broke her leg? Please help!

Thank you for this thread. Currently dealing with this pullet face.

Back
Top Bottom