How to be sure my hen is 100% healthy

If I may ask, how many birds do you have, snd how old are they? I think it's very sweet of you to be willing to part with one of your hens so Brian won't be lonely.
I have 12 or 13 I can’t remember… my rooster is my youngest, he’s 10 months and Yeti is my second youngest at 1.8 years old. Other then those two they range from 2-6 years old.

Originally I just thought to get her to a new home because it’s not safe for her with my flock (full time free rangers) but then I remembered Brian

Howuch beef fat and why? What's the nutritional label on the feed?
It’s just beef fat straight from a butcher- about three small frozen chunks every couple days. It’s because we’ve done this every year and it’s helped them a lot, they tend to get really depressed during the winter due to the sudden protein drop from the lack of foraging. It hasn’t caused any issues yet so I wouldn’t think it’s that? Or maybe she’s not getting enough

It’s just beef fat straight from a butcher- about three small frozen chunks every couple days. It’s because we’ve done this every year and it’s helped them a lot, they tend to get really depressed during the winter due to the sudden protein drop from the lack of foraging. It hasn’t caused any issues yet so I wouldn’t think it’s that? Or maybe she’s not getting enough
They don't need it as it has little to no protein, it's not exactly healthy.
Can you get chick feed from the local mill?

Why isn't she safe with the rest of your flock? Sorry, did I miss something? Oh, because she's a silkie?
Sorry you didn’t miss anything, I have issues with forgetting I haven’t actually typed that information in-

She’s very small and in this area we have cats, foxes, owls, hawks and falcons and they free range 24/7 when it’s not snowy. I’ve had my neighbors cat eat 180$ worth of chick/bantam sized chickens. I also don’t have the proper setup for a single silkie, winter was okay when she had her siblings but I lost them to a nasty mite outbreak, she did bond with my Brahma but it seems like it’s just not the same

They don't need it as it has little to no protein, it's not exactly healthy.
Can you get chick feed from the local mill?
Dang their eggs/laying always got better when we gave it to them. I guess we won’t go get a new batch then-

I have some leftover chick to layer feed from this years broods, would that work?

Sorry you didn’t miss anything, I have issues with forgetting I haven’t actually typed that information in-

She’s very small and in this area we have cats, foxes, owls, hawks and falcons and they free range 24/7 when it’s not snowy. I’ve had my neighbors cat eat 180$ worth of chick/bantam sized chickens. I also don’t have the proper setup for a single silkie, winter was okay when she had her siblings but I lost them to a nasty mite outbreak, she did bond with my Brahma but it seems like it’s just not the same
Yes, that absolutely makes sense! I live out in the sticks in Missouri and I understand about predators, I won't have bantams either because of hawks! And silkies ... I don't know much about them, but their feathers don't insulate like regular chickens, do they? So it makes sense that you'd be looking to make other arrangements for her.

Yes, that absolutely makes sense! I live out in the sticks in Missouri and I understand about predators, I won't have bantams either because of hawks! And silkies ... I don't know much about them, but their feathers don't insulate like regular chickens, do they? So it makes sense that you'd be looking to make other arrangements for her.
I wouldn’t quote myself because my memory is awful but if I remember correctly, They don’t have the feathers that trap in the heat (the contour feathers) just the downy feathers like a chick. Something along the lines of the feathers a silkie has holds heat but doesn’t trap heat so they’re not at all cold hardy 😅 so yes they don’t have their feathers

Back
Top Bottom