How to be sure my hen is 100% healthy

I'm going to invite @NatJ to this conversation, she's very knowledgeable. Myself, not an expert, I would not introduce this hen to Brian just yet though.
Sorry, everything I can think of has already been covered.

I told the person she might be sick so I’ll give her a week indoors of watching her and if she’s definitely healthy she will be good to go but if not she will have to stay longer.
That sounds like a good idea. If in doubt, maybe wait even longer. I don't know how long it takes for a chicken to show symptoms of what diseases.

Well, my friend, it is about 11 pm here and I am going to be dozing off soon. I'll check this thread in the morning and see if anyone else came on to help you out. Good luck and good night.

Sorry, everything I can think of has already been covered.

That sounds like a good idea. If in doubt, maybe wait even longer. I don't know how long it takes for a chicken to show symptoms of what diseases.
okay thank you! I appreciate all the help a lot. She’s my absolute favorite I would hate to lose her or get Brian sick

I wouldn’t quote myself because my memory is awful but if I remember correctly, They don’t have the feathers that trap in the heat (the contour feathers) just the downy feathers like a chick.
What they are missing is the little hooks that make the parts of a feather stay neat and smooth. I think the little hooks are called "barbicels."

She’s current air drying with a heater in a covered kennel, still wobbling when she’s walking (not limping, wobbling back and forth. Picture of her dry was the before picture)

Attachments

• IMG_8525.jpeg
    IMG_8525.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8527.jpeg
    IMG_8527.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8523.jpeg
    IMG_8523.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 9
You can use a hair blow dryer on them, too. Just use a low volume, low heat setting, don't hold it too close to them and keep it moving so you don't create any hot spits on them. In my experience they come to enjoy it very quickly.

You can use a hair blow dryer on them, too. Just use a low volume, low heat setting, don't hold it too close to them and keep it moving so you don't create any hot spits on them. In my experience they come to enjoy it very quickly.
Yeti is really… strange- she hates blow dryers 😅 fights me every time. So I just set her up with a heater and constantly go and ruffle up her feathers so she dries all the way through.

My old Brahma roo loved it though!

Back
Top Bottom