How to be sure my hen is 100% healthy

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My silkie hen is going to a friends house to stay so her blind indoor silkie rooster will have a girlfriend but I can’t tell if she’s sick or if she’s depressed. I’ll be keeping her indoors for a week to keep an eye on her but it’s hard to tell if she’s just depressed she can’t get out of the coop anymore or if she’s sick. She definitely needs a bath I’m hoping that helps her out but she also is starting to wobble again like she did after hatching eggs and one of my hens has a respiratory infection, I do not want to risk her being sick but not showing it and then send her home to live with Brian (the blind roo)

TYIA, I’ll get pictures of her later after her bath

My silkie hen is going to a friends house to stay so her blind indoor silkie rooster will have a girlfriend but I can’t tell if she’s sick or if she’s depressed. I’ll be keeping her indoors for a week to keep an eye on her but it’s hard to tell if she’s just depressed she can’t get out of the coop anymore or if she’s sick. She definitely needs a bath I’m hoping that helps her out but she also is starting to wobble again like she did after hatching eggs and one of my hens has a respiratory infection, I do not want to risk her being sick but not showing it and then send her home to live with Brian (the blind roo)

Will this be temporary? I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to give a blind rooster a hen-friend. And unless sick/disabled indoor chickens really aren't a good idea- they like being outside. What do you mean by wobbling? Is she unable to stand?

Why can't she get out of the coop any more?

Will this be temporary? I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to give a blind rooster a hen-friend. And unless sick/disabled indoor chickens really aren't a good idea- they like being outside. What do you mean by wobbling? Is she unable to stand?
Permanent. Brian has always been an indoor rooster due to his vision impairment and Yeti has always preferred being indoors as well- I live in Alaska so it’s common for them to come inside in the winter. They do get outside time when it’s not super snowy!

When she stands up she kind of hobbles back and forth, it did go away last time but now it’s coming back

In what was is she acting depressed/sick, other than the wobbling?
Just sitting around. I have a covered area outside of the coop and she used to always get out but since the wind started she hasn’t gotten out (despite it being in a four wall barn).. every time I’ve gone out to check on her she’s sitting either on the low roost or nesting box, no eggs and no brood patch. She hasn’t been getting up and out for treats which I’m starting to wonder if is caused by my rooster- my roo usually leaves her alone but it being winter maybe he’s bored and getting after her

Back
Top Bottom