How to best introduce new foods...

donnap1967

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Northern NJ
My chicks are a little bit over two weeks old. I have tried over the past few days a few different treats. I have tried yogurt, oatmeal cooked and dry and strawberries and applesauce. They didnt like any of it.

Today I thought a surefire hit would be mealworms so I drove a couple towns over to get them and believe it or not, the chicks are actually afraid of them. They looked horrified and ran!

I have tried giving them the treats in the brooder, out of the brooder, in a separate dish, in their regular feed dispenser....nada. Am I doing something wrong?

It takes a bit of time for them to learn what treats are. Just put them on the floor and tap on them like you were a momma hen and they will get less scared and more interested. Once one tries it out, the rest will follow.

I just tried giving our three 13 day olds some yogurt and so far nothing. I agree, it probably just takes a while.
smile.png

Personally, I don't feed chicks treats period. They don't need them, and are plenty happy eating starter, and it is a better diet for them in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom