How to break a broody duck?

I have a broody Muscovy hen. She built herself a nest in one of the nesting boxes.I took her eggs away as they are not fertilized. I put some golf balls in the nest,but she knows the difference and has now been sitting in front of the nesting box.She is very vocal when I get close to her, but instead of being aggressive she is letting me pet her and pick her up. Wish she was always like that!
By taking away her eggs ( she has only been sitting on them for about a week) and replacing them with the golf balls, is this going to effect her in anyway or will she eventually forget about being broody? She does leave the nest to take a bath and eat.

My Muscovy duck Daisy (what a pair!) if doing the same thing, I haven't been counting but I'm sure it's been 28 days + she's been broody. She sits on our chicken's eggs. She is one mean duck - she bites, hisses and when you remove her from the nest she chases the other chickens and ducks and bites them!

It's hard to break up her nest because we have chicken's that lay daily! Any suggestions?

I have the opposite problem, I can't get my Bean to go broody to save her life. She's a lousy mama! As for breaking, I know with chickens all you have to do is lower their belly temp by laying them in a pan of cold water for a few minutes, but obviously that probably won't work for a duck...sorry, I've never dealt with this particular conundrum, that's just what worked for my chickens back in the day :/

I have a broody Welsch Harlequin. She will be a year old,in July. She has been sitting every bit of 35 days.

3 weeks ago, I put a baby chicken chick, she took,it but still stayed broody. So the chick sleeps with the duck and our reliable Silkie stepped up to be her daytime nanny.

She will hiss at me but still lets me take eggs from her as everyone is sharing the same nest. Ugh. I guess I will,give her a few more weeks and then re-evaluate.

If anyone has any better ideas, let me know.

Marlene

I know this is an older thread but looking for some help. Have a very broody duck. (No males) three ducks lay in the same spot and she will sit on all three. Not sure if the other ducks lay first. We don't have nesting boxes. They build in their own nests in the coop. We have been moving her everyday and destroying the nest for over a week. Every morning she builds again. Not sure what I should do! Should I put in some fake duck eggs?

I have 2 broody Muscovy right now. Over the years I have tried locking them out of their coop destroying the nest they make in their shavings. I haven't found anything that works. My 2 have been going strong for close to 5 weeks now. My 3rd broody makes her nest in the main coop and because I keep it closed during the day I have to quickly pick her up and get her out before she does that disgusting broody poop inside, walking fast with butt facing away from me. I destroyed her nest and paced a heavy wooden box over top, so she just went over to the other side of the room and settled down there. I just have to let it run it's course. I also have 5 broody hens, all these girls aren't even on eggs either. They all come out daily to eat drink and act nutty before going back inside. That is the main thing we need to worry about making sure they are taking care of themselves. Give the chick to the silkie.

I have 2 broody Muscovy right now. Over the years I have tried locking them out of their coop destroying the nest they make in their shavings. I haven't found anything that works. My 2 have been going strong for close to 5 weeks now. My 3rd broody makes her nest in the main coop and because I keep it closed during the day I have to quickly pick her up and get her out before she does that disgusting broody poop inside, walking fast with butt facing away from me. I destroyed her nest and paced a heavy wooden box over top, so she just went over to the other side of the room and settled down there. I just have to let it run it's course. I also have 5 broody hens, all these girls aren't even on eggs either. They all come out daily to eat drink and act nutty before going back inside. That is the main thing we need to worry about making sure they are taking care of themselves. Give the chick to the silkie.
I'd never tell my chickens but I like my ducks more...but they are so much more stubborn!!

Back
Top Bottom