How to Break a Broody Hen

Pics
Hi~

The only type of dog crate I would use would be the type that has the wire bottom. It is important to get that cool air up underneath the hen and a confined area where they cannot nest. This way it cools their body temp down and contributes to snapping them out of their broody phase. I used a 30" wire crate I ordered off of Amazon for around $50.00. I placed it up on some concrete bricks to get it up off the ground for better air circulation. I just bought a small waterer similar to what I used in the coop and zip tied a bird feeder to the side of the crate for feed. It worked really well. I placed the wire crate inside the outside run so the hen was around the other hens, but she was not able to go to the nesting box. If it was chilly at night I brought the whole cage inside the coop, I have a converted horse stall, where they all come in to roost at night. I live in Southern California, so the weather isn't a real big issue for me, but I usually did bring the cage inside just so they had a wind break if it was breezy that night. I kept each hen in the broody cage 4 full days, letting them out the evening of the 4th day. It worked like a charm each and every time I have done it. Let me know if you try it and if it works. Good luck!

I have a broody hen going on a week. Do you keep them in the dog crate at night too or do you place them on the roost?? Any suggestions on how to make a food dish and waterer that won't spill or get knocked around?

I keep mine in because letting them out will only lead to them going to the nest for the night, not staying on the roost. I like the feed/water cups that can be attached that are sold for rabbits, pet birds, etc - but an easy DIY system can be made using empty water bottles and zip ties.

Hi~

The only type of dog crate I would use would be the type that has the wire bottom. It is important to get that cool air up underneath the hen and a confined area where they cannot nest. This way it cools their body temp down and contributes to snapping them out of their broody phase. I used a 30" wire crate I ordered off of Amazon for around $50.00. I placed it up on some concrete bricks to get it up off the ground for better air circulation. I just bought a small waterer similar to what I used in the coop and zip tied a bird feeder to the side of the crate for feed. It worked really well. I placed the wire crate inside the outside run so the hen was around the other hens, but she was not able to go to the nesting box. If it was chilly at night I brought the whole cage inside the coop, I have a converted horse stall, where they all come in to roost at night. I live in Southern California, so the weather isn't a real big issue for me, but I usually did bring the cage inside just so they had a wind break if it was breezy that night. I kept each hen in the broody cage 4 full days, letting them out the evening of the 4th day. It worked like a charm each and every time I have done it. Let me know if you try it and if it works. Good luck!

Thank you for the great information. I have a crate that I use to integrate new girls so I plan on using that - I just need to take the tray out and elevate it. The little dishes that I bought that should stay on the sides get knocked off within an hour. I do not have a big enough coop to bring the cage in at night so she will spend the nights in the garage.

I keep mine in because letting them out will only lead to them going to the nest for the night, not staying on the roost. I like the feed/water cups that can be attached that are sold for rabbits, pet birds, etc - but an easy DIY system can be made using empty water bottles and zip ties.

Thank you. I will have to be creative and make some thing up for her. I have been closing the coop door during the day but as soon as I get home and look for her she is under the ramp in a pile of dirt with 4 eggs under her (from some of my other girls). They are all fighting a bacterial infection and are on oxytetracycline for the next 6 days so I am tossing the eggs anyway. It never ends LOL.

Those dishes are just too tempting as they give her room to get up on them - if you can place a block under them it will steady them from being turned so badly as she hops around on them or go for a smaller home-made type dish that is not large enough to look inviting to hop up on/has edges that won't support her and will be such that after a spill or two will no longer be tempting.

Those dishes are just too tempting as they give her room to get up on them - if you can place a block under them it will steady them from being turned so badly as she hops around on them or go for a smaller home-made type dish that is not large enough to look inviting to hop up on/has edges that won't support her and will be such that after a spill or two will no longer be tempting.

Yes, I have to figure something else out. The GLW in the picture is one that I just integrated into the flock, it's my BR that has gone broody so she is about the same size. I will add some kind of roost for her too.

I have a broody hen going on a week. Do you keep them in the dog crate at night too or do you place them on the roost?? Any suggestions on how to make a food dish and waterer that won't spill or get knocked around?

I just use the small plastic waterer and feeder I got for the girls when they came as day olds. They can still knock it over so I made a loop of wire to slip over the top on the inside. Kind of the reverse of a water bottle holder for a hamster cage. That said, since I have several that go broody multiple times a year, I'm pondering a change that would put a shelf on the outside with part of the feeder and waterer extending into the cage. It is not easy to change the water and add food (if necessary) without the bird escaping.

I am trying to break a broody hen and this is my first time so I have a few questions:.

Will a hen lay an egg while in the wire crate with no bedding?

My hen does not seem to be eating or drinking well. Is this normal while in the wire crate?.

How do I know when to take her out and put her back with the other hens?

Thanks for any and all advice!!

A hen won't lay eggs while she's feeling broody, so if she lays an egg in the Broody Buster cage that's a good sign that she is "back to her regularly scheduled programming." They don't eat/drink as much while they're broody, so your hen might not be doing that a lot until her broody spell is broken. Just keep an eye on her condition to be sure she doesn't seem dehydrated or malnourished. Broodies don't move around much but they should have an alertness to their manner, not lethargic & apathetic. Give her 2-4 days in the cage -- it's best when it's a wire-bottomed one with no bedding so that there is a nice air flow up underneath them. After that let her out and watch her behavior. If she runs back to a nest box then she needs more days in the Buster. If she goes off on other birdy business she may be broken.

Is it normal for a broody hen to be more picked on? I had a hen go broody that spent most of last year broody to the point that the broody box did not work at all or she would become broody again within 2 weeks. I would force her out of the nest box at least once a day and lock the coop for an hour or so to encourage her to forage, eat, drink and poop. No change in dynamics last year from the group ( total), they all seemed to get along.

This year she is cranky and fluffed up for about 2 weeks before she decides to go true broody. I do the same as last year but when I let her out the other hens attack her. I found that if I got her out first and then let the others out it was not as bad but she was completely excluded from the group. I finally put her in the broody box and 4 days later she is her normal self. They are not attacking her as much but she still is more on the outside of the group and you can see the others giving her the "hairy" eye ball look if she gets to close.

Anyone else see this?

Marci

Back
Top Bottom