how to breed chicken??

how did you get that? not being mean but didnt sound like i was describing anything
lau.gif
I keep telling him I want chicks but hes ignoring me! lol
hit.gif
he has done like either a courting or dominacne dance though

I'm new still and have not learned how to navigate this site very well, But I do have some questions about breeding chickens!! First do I have to wait untill spring to breed? After putting my hen with my roo, how long do I leave her in there? Do I remove her and her eggs, or do I remove her before she lays? I want my eggs to hatch the natural way, so how long does it take for them to hatch?After they hatch do I remove the mother, or leave her with them?

I'm new still and have not learned how to navigate this site very well, But I do have some questions about breeding chickens!! First do I have to wait untill spring to breed? After putting my hen with my roo, how long do I leave her in there? Do I remove her and her eggs, or do I remove her before she lays? I want my eggs to hatch the natural way, so how long does it take for them to hatch?After they hatch do I remove the mother, or leave her with them?

You can leave a rooster w/ a hen 24/7 :-]
Heres how you breed chickens

Its BEST to wait for spring, only due to the tempatures and how fragile chicks can be. If you aren't using an incubator, though, be prepared to hatch whenever ; Hens don't just 'go broody' (want chicks), they go at random times, and having a nest of eggs won't increase the chance. HOWEVER, certain breeds (like cochins) are much more likely to go broody.

If you want to just hatch chicks, then get a cochin or 2 and just wait until she goes broody, and use the other hens eggs and set it under the hen. And just keep a rooster with the hens :-]

You can leave a rooster w/ a hen 24/7 :-]
Heres how you breed chickens

Its BEST to wait for spring, only due to the tempatures and how fragile chicks can be. If you aren't using an incubator, though, be prepared to hatch whenever ; Hens don't just 'go broody' (want chicks), they go at random times, and having a nest of eggs won't increase the chance. HOWEVER, certain breeds (like cochins) are much more likely to go broody.

If you want to just hatch chicks, then get a cochin or 2 and just wait until she goes broody, and use the other hens eggs and set it under the hen. And just keep a rooster with the hens :-]
It all depends on where you are located and the particular breed of chicken you have. For example, I prefer to hatch beginning at Christmas and ending with Easter. I set eggs every Saturday morning during that time. Why don't I wait until later? Simply it gets to hot to fast in the deep South. Late hatched chicks (read that after mid-April) just do not grow as well because of the excessive heat. So the idea that one time is better than another is simply not true. Alot depends on where you are located and even the facilities that you have for your birds once hatched. I generally hatch upwards of 400 to 500 chicks each year. I'm setup for that. Someone that is not, well, it would be a disaster. Many more than 500 stretches me to my limits. The other reason I like hatching during the cooler months is because the hens will seldom go broody during that time. They generally wait for warm to hot weather to go broody (there are always exceptions, but as a general rule). While in the breed pens the last thing I want is a broody hen! When that happens you know the egg production is going to come to a hault with her. You can 'break her up' and get her to laying again, but that can take several weeks to accomplish.

I live in north west georgia, and I have a delaware and a buckeye rooster right now, in together. I need to know how long do I need to leave them together. I dont want to mess this up! This is my first time breeding, and I dont know how, really!!!

Back
Top Bottom