how to breed chicken??

Wow seems like a popular thread,

@ChickenMaster98
Keep them together 24/7, and simply wait for eggs. Then go to an incubating thread, and ask about that.

@Saladin
I never took that into consideration. Thanks for adding.

@TriciaWhite
Keep them together 24/7, and just wait for the eggs. Then go to an incubating thread and ask them. The rooster will keep the hens eggs fertilized, and will even protect the hens if hes a good boy :)

To breed chickens you let a male and female chicken live together...the hen might decide to sit on some eggs, or you have to have an incubator to be able to choose when that happens. the hen decides when it will happen. It takes around 21 days. If the mom hatches the eggs then leave the chicks with her...

"you" don't have to know how to breed them...they will breed each other...all by themselves, just like any other animal.

Last edited:
To breed chickens you let a male and female chicken live together...the hen might decide to sit on some eggs, or you have to have an incubator to be able to choose when that happens. the hen decides when it will happen. It takes around 21 days. If the mom hatches the eggs then leave the chicks with her...

"you" don't have to know how to breed them...they will breed each other...all by themselves, just like any other animal.

Some hens are terrible mothers.
If that weren't true, then I'd have a hen hatched chick.

Ok, I realize this is a semi-old thread, but what if you only have hens, and want to use a friend's roo? Do you take the hens to the roo or bring the roo to the hens?

I've been wondering the same thing! My daughter wants to try breeding a faverolle with an ameracauna to get a "Favacauna", and we have only females.

I'm new at this to. I have two barred rock roosters and 7 hens. How do I do this. Do I need a breeding pen and how can you teal if you have a broody hen. How old do the ro and hen need to be. How can you teal if you have a fertil egg.

I'm new at this to. I have two barred rock roosters and 7 hens. How do I do this. Do I need a breeding pen and how can you teal if you have a broody hen. How old do the ro and hen need to be. How can you teal if you have a fertil egg.
You don't need a special pen. The hen needs to be laying. At least 20 weeks for both I'd say, but not sure about the roo. You can tell your hen is broody because she spends a lot of time in the nest box even if there are no eggs. You have to open the egg to see if it's fertile. An infertile egg will have a white spot on the yolk, a fertile egg will have a larger spot with a ring around it like a target. Total size about 1/4 inch. Or an embryo if the hen has been sitting on it.

Back
Top Bottom