How to breed for Mille Fleur Cochin Bantams

Hello, sorry this response is so late but the colours/patterns needed would be mottled, columbian, also some patterning is necessary.

To start i would find the best typed buff columbians you can get your hands on and then breed in the mottling gene. For that the best pattern would be mottled partridge/penciled, or mottled columbian if you could find it.

Columbian would have the patterning genes necessary (Pg and Co) so all you would have to do is add in mottling gene (mo) and go from there.

There is a further school of thought that maintains that mottling should be on a wheaton base (ewh) with mottling, patterning and melanotic(Possibly db too). It is a tricky one to get around because there isnt a definitive standard yet and most of the birds dont breed true yet.

If you want more technical advice please dont hesitate to ask :)

Regards,
Andy
What kind of mottled bird, a mottled Colombian?

I have a pair of mottled bantam chochins. the typical chicks I see on line are mainly black in color. About half of mine are like that but also have several them hatched with mostly white down. They will however feather out mottled. The kicker is every now and then one of the chick will feather out solid white. Could they be carrying a recessive white gene? Would love to hear the input from someone.

Back
Top Bottom