How To breed Show Quality Chickens

Anyone have any suggestion on breeding?
Thanks

Pretty broad question here that I'm sure some of our members could write a book responding to.

My answer would be that you want to understand what you're looking for. What is the SOP for your desired breed.

You need to start with good high quality stock, or stock that exhibits most of the desired traits. Then you will want to breed to improve and maintain these qualities and do not hesitate to cull anything that does not exhibit the qualities you are looking for.

There is a lot more to it...understanding genetics is something that I am trying to focus on over the next year. But the gist of it is have a good understanding of what the standard of perfection is for your breed and do not be shy to cull when needed. You need good quality stock to start with as well..

Seeing the many long and well written posts that go unanswered on here I can see why one wouldn't want to write too much before at least getting a few short responses. The member might also be from a country where English isn't their first language, and although they might be fluent in speaking English, writing less would lessen the possibility of grammatical or spelling errors. Not attacking or defending anyone, just my thoughts on why he was short since English is my second language.

Yes depending on how serious you are you would have to do a lot of culling, you can try to find homes for them but some people hatch thousands of chicks to win and I doubt that they are able to rehome most of the roosters.

You can do a search for the breed that you are interested in and reading about its desired characteristics as well as looking at pictures of the show birds in that breed.

Seeing the many long and well written posts that go unanswered on here I can see why one wouldn't want to write too much before at least getting a few short responses. The member might also be from a country where English isn't their first language, and although they might be fluent in speaking English, writing less would lessen the possibility of grammatical or spelling errors. Not attacking or defending anyone, just my thoughts on why he was short since English is my second language.

Yes depending on how serious you are you would have to do a lot of culling, you can try to find homes for them but some people hatch thousands of chicks to win and I doubt that they are able to rehome most of the roosters.

You can do a search for the breed that you are interested in and reading about its desired characteristics as well as looking at pictures of the show birds in that breed.
Pardon, but I am confused on your first 2 paragraphs, they seem out of context on this thread. Are you sure replied to the right thread?

It’s in response to the OP being told that he isn’t being specific enough. I’ve been told on several occasions such as when inquiring information phrases such as “you didn’t mention...” or “can you be more specific”. In this case it is “broad question”.

Again I’m not attacking the poster just stating a rationale for abbreviated posts. I know several times where I spent too much time on specifics only to have no one see or reply to my thread.

Back
Top Bottom