1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to breed turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sweeterdeeter42, Mar 16, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    How do I breed my turkeys? Do I need to provide anything or do anything to their enclosure? When do hens usually lay? I have not seen any eggs from her yet. I dont know how old they are either, but I am assuming old enough. They are pretty big. Ive had some bourbon reds before, but never attempted to breed them or anything. They just served their purpose as a 4-H project and went on their way to a swap. SO I have no idea what I am doing. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    well I up here in northern new england Mass. and my turkeys are now in there prime and ready for breeding , some of my hens have been starting to lay eggs for the last 2 weeks . I have just finish up there 10 breeding pens and just started to pair /trio off each breed . I have breeding pairs from 3yr old to a yr old ,and all seem to be ready with 8 different breeding pairs this year . I hope this year tops last years with onlyhaving 3 different breeds , which I end up with over 125 babys turkeys .
    So Good Luck [​IMG]
    they will lay from now until at lease Aug. [​IMG]

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Nice looking royal palms you have there. My RP's just started laying a few weeks ago here in Texas so I bet in the next few weeks you will start to see some. You don't need to do anything, they will breed on their own. Are you planning on incubating eggs? If so you need to pick them up after each egg is layed. That way she will keep laying all season. I store all my turkey eggs in a little giant egg turner in the cool laundry room for 7 days and then they go to my incubators every week. I can't see your toms breast but I bet his beard is only about 1" long and this would be his first spring. The beards grow about 1" per year. I have let RP's hatch eggs in the late season but the toms go broody and cruch the eggs. I put a medium size dog house with hay. I have then in all my breeding pens and the turkeys love them.

4. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Quote:Could you post a few pictures of your breeding pens? I'm looking for ideas for my turkey breeding pens. Thanks!

5. Thomasturkey

Thomasturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    There is some very good breeding advice on the ALBC website. Everything from picking your breeders, to nest boxes and hatching eggs. Chapter 4 of Selecting Your Best Turkeys for Breeding, is Preparing for Your First Year of Breeding.

http://albc-usa.org/EducationalResources/downloads.html

6. Thomasturkey

Thomasturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    My turkeys are not to picky as their needs for a place to build a nest. I give them a bale of straw in a dark corner and they love it. Some of my turkeys will get into my chickens nest box too. Most like to lay in a group but some like a private spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Thanks for the help everyone! Can you see his beard well enough in this picture? I really have no idea how old they are, but would like to find out. I have no idea how to tell the age. Turkeys look like they are 80 years old when they are really young as it is.

[​IMG]

8. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    mine just do it on their own no marital aids required

9. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    This is his first spring unless somebody trimmed his beard! [​IMG]

10. Firemenlovechicks

Firemenlovechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, the first thing to do is butter her up with some treats, maybe some soft candlelight and a little Elvis music....... keep the lights down low........... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry! Couldn't resist!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by